American Gangster

Damen

Yeah...was a bit too long. Working against it winning any awards is that a gangster movie won em last year. American Gangster was okay. I'd give it a B for entertainment. BTW, several hundred former NYPD and DEA guys are suing the producers claiming defamation. The flick supposedly notes that a number of the NYPD officers and DEA agents were indicted; in fact, that didn't happen. The flick shows/implies that the officers doing a search warrant at the main dude's home stole cash. No evidence of that either. Yeah...Hollywood taking license with the facts again. Of course, half of Hollywood is probably on dope, so it's natural that they don't like narcs :)

HH

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Okay. How about this? I'll bet you that it gets nominated for at least 2 awards and wins 1. Loser pays 2000 baht donation to Thai360.

You got a bet but your chance of winning is very small. I was the only one on this board to correctly predict that Crash would win the Oscar for Best Picture last year. I'm out of your league.

Hey ZZZZ' date='

American Gangster nominated for 2 Academy Awards today. ;) [/quote']

In retrospect, maybe I shouldn't have made that bet since I slept through a significant portion of that movie.

The movie was very different than actual accounts of Frank Lucas and his operation. The movie was based on what Lucas told the producers what happened and what the writers thought would make an entertaining film. 99% of Hollywood films based on actual events are no where near the real truth.

The movie The Godfather made it seemed that the heroin in the black community, especially Harlem was run by the mafia. The famed 'French Connection' (heroin originating in Turkey and mixed in Marseille by the french and corsican mafias) supplied many of the dealers but the mob didn't tell them what to do. It was a business arrangement. Nicky Barnes got his from them, but Frank Lucas and Frank Matthews bypassed the mob connection and got theirs from SE Asia and south america respectively.

• 3 weeks later...
Okay. How about this? I'll bet you that it gets nominated for at least 2 awards and wins 1. Loser pays 2000 baht donation to Thai360.

You got a bet but your chance of winning is very small. I was the only one on this board to correctly predict that Crash would win the Oscar for Best Picture last year. I'm out of your league.

Hey ZZZZ' date='

American Gangster nominated for 2 Academy Awards today. ;) [/quote']

In retrospect, maybe I shouldn't have made that bet since I slept through a significant portion of that movie.

No Oscar for American Gangster so I win :yay:

Pay 2000 baht donation to Thai360.

Archived