Champagne a go go - The milestone in high class entertainment

Famous Grouse

I went into Champagne for a looksee 3 or 4 nights ago, only 1 or 2 other customers and a rather gruesome line-up on stage. While I was sipping a draft, the owner came over and chatted me up, pleasant enough though clearly half pissed.

It's not hard to imagine a check-bin dispute boiling into a brawl; Pattaya is that kind of place.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been in Champagne two or three times. The British owner was always very friendly to me and my group (including another forum member). He bought us all drinks since we were being generous with the LDs.

I was not there either so I don't know what actually happened. I'm in Oz atm. Maybe one of our Pattaya investigators can get the other side of the story.

:beer:

Did you check your bill closely to see how much padding occurred? :stirthepo

Yes, I always do when I'm sober, or if I'm pissed I go through the motions of checking, just so that the service girls at least "think" I'm on the ball. Many of the bars have itemized bills now, which makes things easier.

The other week when out with another board member at a different bar down soi 15, I got a LD on my bill instead of mate's. We just quietly pointed out the error to the British owner and cashier - all resolved quickly and politely.

In 20 years of visiting Pattaya and almost 8 years of living here, nothing nasty/violent has "ever" happened to me, apart fom being pickpocketed once on a baht taxi... partly my own stupid fault. Don't go looking for trouble, and treat the girls well. No problema.

That's why I suspect there's more to the above story than the psychopathic pub owner angle portrayed in the original article.

Just as a PS. I was talking to Ricky owner of Sisterz Gogo the other week shortly after his opening when he had his first spot of bother - a drunken farang shouting and threatening fisticuffs. Ricky sat back and watched. He was interested in seeing how his staff handled this first incident. He had instructed them to pin any troublemaker's arms in a bear hug from behind, and eject him, without hitting him, even though the farang obviously wanted a fight.

His security staff passed with flying colours. :up:

Rather a sarcastic subject line... yes, I realise tongue in cheek irony from the Gogo's own website.

As a serious journalist shouldn't your first reaction be to go and interview the owner to find out if there's another side to the story?

Well I I were to be doing a story on this I guess I might contact the other guy. But as ' as serious journalist' I am not.

Without information provided here I would automatically assume the bosses version would be exactly the opposite.

However there is unlikely to be any interest outside Pattaya.

Actually I just though the incident coupled with the publicity blurb 'A milestone in high class entertainment' was just a wee bit funny.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

I mean, no matter how popular this place is, its not exactly high class entertainment.

So am not going to waste the petrol, and risk, as this has now entered the equation, a padded bar bill

Actually I just though the incident coupled with the publicity blurb 'A milestone in high class entertainment' was just a wee bit funny.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

That's the way I read it FG. Whoever did the website for the bar got a bit carried away.

I think some people are just happy to have a real live journalist to have a go at. No doubt you figured that out. :)

I donâ??t get my kicks from having a go at a real live journalist. In fact I was quite sympathetic towards FG, when I read â??his side of the storyâ? about that supposed defamatory article he didnâ??t write a few months ago. And I can see the humour and accept FGâ??s intentions in â??Actually I just though the incident coupled with the publicity blurb 'A milestone in high class entertainment' was just a wee bit funny.

Nothing more. Nothing less.â?Â

Perhaps if FG had just added a rider â??Of course this could have been one seriously inebriated mathematically challenged Eric the Red trying to relive his Viking pastâ? this controversy wouldnâ??t have arisen. Interesting thread though.

The original article (not written by FG) could really damage a barâ??s business â?? maybe deservedly, maybe not. I simply believe in a fair go. The original article implies the bar owner is a sadistic lout prepared to maim someone for the sake of 60 baht, and that bill padding is a regular practice at Champagne.

All Iâ??m saying is that my experience of Champagne and its owner was completely the opposite.

The reality might be:

Drunken aggressive farang so pissed he canâ??t add up or remember how many drinks he had. Loudly decides to have a go at service/cashier who will lose 60 baht from her wages because of his ignorance â?? there goes her nightâ??s share of tips.

Bar owner comes over â??Whatâ??s the problem, sir?â?Â. Farang looking for a fight turns on bar owner. Throws a punch and picks up a bottle to smash on his head. Bar owner pepper sprays him.

Thai staff, on their own initiative, decide to teach farang a lesson outside.

Bar owner in deep shit all because of ignorant cunt who can't hold his grog.

....The reality might be:

Drunken aggressive farang so pissed he canâ??t add up or remember how many drinks he had. Loudly decides to have a go at service/cashier who will lose 60 baht from her wages because of his ignorance â?? there goes her nightâ??s share of tips.

Bar owner comes over â??Whatâ??s the problem, sir?â?Â. Farang looking for a fight turns on bar owner. Throws a punch and picks up a bottle to smash on his head. Bar owner pepper sprays him.

Thai staff, on their own initiative, decide to teach farang a lesson outside.

Bar owner in deep shit all because of ignorant cunt who can't hold his grog.

Which is all of course a complete figment of your imagination. :dunno:

Archived