• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

p.s. Ketchup IS a vegetable!

What...Fuk tong???

Could be "an old fruit" as well...lol

It's largely apple based down here....but "We" call it tomato sauce

Funny names you "yanks" have for things.. :neener::neener:

Sometimes it is even called catsup. I think it is a conspiracy.

Cheers,

SD

[color:blue]Ketchup History

The word ketchup is derived from the Chinese ke-tsiap, a pickled fish sauce. It made its way to Malaysia where it became kechap and ketjap in Indonesia.

Seventeenth century English sailors first discovered the delights of this Chinese condiment and brought it west. Ketchup was first mentioned in print around 1690.

The Chinese version is actually more akin to a soy or Worcestershire sauce. It gradually went through various changes, particularly with the addition of tomatoes in the 1700s. By the nineteenth century, ketchup was also known as tomato soy.

Early tomato versions were much thinner with a consistency more like a soy or Worcestershire sauce.

F. & J. Heinz Company began selling tomato ketchup in 1876. By the end of the nineteenth century, tomato ketchup was the primary type of ketchup in the United States, and the decriptor of tomato was gradually dropped.

Catsup and catchup are acceptable spellings used interchangably with ketchup, however, ketchup is the way you will find it listed in the majority of cookbooks.[/color]

Link

Cheers,

SD -- trying to be helpful

[color:green]Revised theory[/color]:

Now let me see if I've got this right. Some guy named Jack Bauer, who works for the former Italian president of the CIA, says the Dallas Mafia blew up the Twin Towers using tomato sauce made from apples in Australia and concealed inside a kosher ham. And the guy is a fruit.

Better? :xmassmile

Archived