'Atheistic fundamentalism' fears

Flashermac

The Archbishop of Wales, Dr Barry Morgan, has described a rise in "fundamentalism" as one of the great problems facing the world.

He focused on what he described as "atheistic fundamentalism".

He said it led to situations such as councils calling Christmas "Winterval", schools refusing to put on nativity plays and crosses removed from chapels.

In his Christmas message, he said: "Any kind of fundamentalism, be it Biblical, atheistic or Islamic, is dangerous."

The archbishop said "atheistic fundamentalism" was a new phenomenon.

He said it advocated that religion in general and Christianity in particular have no substance, and that some view the faith as "superstitious nonsense".

As well as leading to Christmas being called "Winterval," the archbishop said "virulent, almost irrational" attacks on Christianity led to hospitals removing all Christian symbols from their chapels, and schools refusing to allow children to send Christmas cards with a Christian message.

He also said it led to things like "airlines refusing staff the freedom to wear a cross round their necks" in a reference to the row in which British Airways (BA) suspended an employee who insisted on wearing a cross necklace.

Dr Morgan said: "All of this is what I would call the new "fundamentalism" of our age. It allows no room for disagreement, for doubt, for debate, for discussion.

Link

It seems to have a political element also. Democrats are first to point the wrongs and what should be done but provide no real solutions. For example, the USA sits on large amounts of oil, but almost none of it can be used because it might affect the invironment. Therefore it is better to pay $3.00 a gallon for gas then to use our own oil.

As for the original post, in the USA we have freedom of religion which is gradually eroding because of the PC people. We can't do this and we can't do that instead of being less Talabanic.

And yet Muslims demand respect for their beliefs and holidays. Remember that idiot in the US who was demanding her driving licence photo have her in a burqa?

But there was an especially nasty woman in the US named Madeleine Murray O'Hare (I think). She was a militant atheist and a self-proclaimed communist - and is the one who tried to get Christmas trees banned, nativity scenes forbidden, prayers outlawed in schools etc. Sort of like "I don't believe it, so you can't either!"

... Sort of like "I don't believe it, so you can't either!"

Then again, she may have been thinking about this:

From ruling in 1947 of Everson v. Board of Education of Ewing Twp", the U.S. Supreme Court ruled:

...Neither a state nor the Federal Government can, openly or secretly, participate in the affairs of any religious organizations or groups and vice versa....

I mean, there's lots of wars and violence and civil liberty snuffing done in the name of atheism...NOT!

Cheers,

SD

SD...just reflecting on those items, I'd hazard a guess that atheists-in-charge are probably responsible for their share of the above. Or maybe you're saying that atheists deserve the moral high ground on these types of things? I don't think so.

HH

<< C'mon Chuck! I mean, there's lots of wars and violence and civil liberty snuffing done in the name of atheism...NOT! >>

I had a friend who grew up in East Berlin. She told me she couldn't go to university, since she refused to take an oath of atheism. The Wall wasn't up yet, so she went to stay with some relatives in the West and studied in the evil capitalistic Federal Republic. Under the communists, atheism was the "state religion" in the GDR, USSR etc. All religious faiths are still having a pretty rough time in communist Vietnam. But I suppose that doesn't count. Neither does the PRC's destruction of ancient Tibetan monastaries and the burning of their libraries.

Archived