Smoking ban to take affect on Feb 17th. Bollocks.

Stan Smith

Not sure how it will work out in LOS but here in Ireland they banned smoking from all indoor work places including pubs and clubs.I'm a smoker and was totally against it,but wouldn't change it back now.I smoke far less and having to stand outside the door smoking is a great way to meet female smokers.If only it was as warm here as Bangkok!! :(

Same in NZ.

I like to smoke when Mongering, and appreciate not being treated like a leper in LOS.

cheers

Coss

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is sort of the idea, I mean people have a choice. If people know a bar allows smoking, than those who object can stay home, or go elsewhere. Here the excuse was/is the people who "have to work there" suffer as a result of the smoke...ah, excuse me gang, but these people freely chose to work there, and can quit anytime.

As I said, all these laws are a "slippery slope" and don't seem to ever end. What next? Alcohol is bad, let's ban it in bars...maybe ban cigarettes and booze all together? oh wait, we tried that, failed miserably.

The wording of an earlier ban said it bans everywhere that serves food indoors with AC, but it never worked out that way. Places like Hard Rock, Tawan Daeng, and all others I may choose to dine at are full of smoke. That's interesting to hear it did come into play in restaurants on your list.

That is why I am skeptical this one bans "pubs and clubs". Does anyone really think this will extend to gogo's and such?

As a smoker, I agree that unvetilated restaurants (basically those with walls) should be smoke-free, however, if I am in a bar or gogo, I would resent not being able to smoke.

This 1/2 billion people dying prematurely smacks of made-up statistics again, love to know how they got to that figure.

If you are talking about polluting other peoples lungs, ban fucking cars! They surely must do more damage passively than any cigarrette will and there's no getting away from it either!

Better ventilation in bars and gogo's is certainly something I would like to see, banning it full stop. Hell no.

I'm a non smoker so it does'nt bother me personally. But I'm sure this law with be very rarely and selectively enforced and with many others in Thailand. Drunk driving is illegal and look at the carnage on Thai roads, very rarely enforced. What about the litter laws. Look at the shit Thais throw here there and every where but the MiB don't give a shit untill a farang drops a sweet paper or a fag butt and then they appear from nowhere with their hand out for their 2,000 baht?! And did'nt Field Marshal Sarit ban tuk tuks from Bangkok in 1960? That one worked well did'nt it?! :smirk:

Simie.

Ha! You got to be shitting me! Tuk Tuk's are officialy banned in Thailand?

Out of all the laws that are not adhered to - prostitution must be the biggest? I mean, as far as sticking two fingers up to a law goes, SC, NP, PP and the thousands of massage parlours up and down LOS must be the largest two fingers up to any law, anywhere in the world, ever?

<<< Places like Hard Rock, Tawan Daeng, and all others I may choose to dine at are full of smoke. That's interesting to hear it did come into play in restaurants on your list >>>

Hard Rock is Non-Smoking until 7 PM, only after then do the signs come down and the ash trays come out.

I am of the same opinion as Chelseafan that Restuatants or designated "eating areas" of some bars should be smoke free (as they are). Non-Smokers have their rights to enjoy a smoke free enviroment but conversly us smokers also have our rights to light up.

I know of a few bars where there have designated smoking and non-smoking areas, Gullibles being the obvious one to anyone who has ever been to a friday meeting and there it seems to work well. The area where the board meets is in a non-smoking area of the bar but if us smokers require our fix we just go to a different area of the bar for a few minutes.

Since most places in Thailand are air conditioned it is not that difficult to balance the AC so that the airflow comes from the non-smoking to smoking areas, its not rocket science.

Archived