Prison for air-rage arsehole who wanted to go business class

SatRai

url=http://www.bkkok.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3082]http://www.bkkok.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3082[/url]

middle-aged man has been jailed after marching into the business-class section of a flight from Thailand and hurling a passenger into the aisle so he could take his seat.

Edward Gough, 54, who had been drinking in economy class, had to be restrained by fellow passengers on the Eva Air flight from Bangkok to London in November 2006. Gough, a mechanic, who said he was devastated by what he had done, was given a six-month jail sentence after admitting three charges of common assault on a passenger and members of the crew.

Isleworth Crown Court was told that he had been taking prescribed diazepam as well as drinking, and could not recall a thing about the attack.

Judge Patricia Dangor said that it was reckless to take alcohol with prescribed drugs. â??The fact you donâ??t remember is neither here nor there. You assaulted three people. People who fly have a duty to make sure that their behaviour doesnâ??t frighten other people. Your behaviour was nothing short of terrifying.â? A custodial sentence was required as a deterrent to others, she said.

Robert Meikle, for the prosecution, said that Gough, of Thetford, Norfolk, had drunk several glasses of wine before walking into business class and grabbing a passenger, Sung Pin Chen, who was â??sitting minding his own businessâ?Â. He â??pulled him from his seat and deposited him in the aisleâ?Â.

The purser, Lisa Liao, asked Gough to get out of the seat, and he started walking back towards economy. But as they went through the â??eliteâ? section he grabbed another seat. He attacked the purser when she tried to remove him. â??He jumped up, grabbed her neck and pushed her on to the armrest, hurting her back,â? Mr Meikle said.

â??He grabbed her round the neck a second time and she could smell alcohol on his breath. Another member of the crew, Zsu-Ting Lin, tried to stop him and he pushed her in the chest and face. She fell backwards to the floor, banging her head, and she was unable to continue with her duties for the remainder of the flight.â?Â

Gough was restrained by other crew and passengers until they arrived in Heathrow, where he was arrested.

Simon Gruchy, for Gough, said that the defendant had no memory of his behaviour. He told the court: â??This is a man who was devastated when faced with the reality of what he did.â?Â

- Times Online (UK)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

ban drinking on planes maybe????, i mean we cant carry guns on planes can we for good reason, a well tanked up guy the size of a NFL footballer for example is a much of a problem up there as a person with a gun.

oh, i see thetford, says it all!! the wart of the norfolk idyl :(

Ban diabetics too, I was on a flight where a well built guy went into shock and had a fit, injured 3 people and after a doctor had insulined him and he'd recovered, he was quite indignant that they wanted to check him out when landed.

He was all right now, no need to impede his travel, stuff the injured people that held him down when he was fitting.

Arrogant bastard!

Cheers

Coss

While were at it, lets ban.....

Fat people. Only when I'm forced to fly economy though :D . I hate it when they occupy half of the seat I paid for. :onfire:

People with offensive body odor. :barf:

Overage, disgruntled flight attendants. It's not my fault your pension was stolen, you had to take a cut in pay and you are angry at the world. :nono: I just asked for a glass of water.

Guest lazyphil

it makes no sense though. smoking is banned but not drinking. when did someone smoke too many cigs and cause comotion at 30 thousand feet!?

note, i do drink from time to time, i'm not anti drink, but honestly, drunk fueled air rage must be very scarey for all concerned. i dont smoke and never have but if anything is to be banned on areoplanes it should not be cigs but booze!

i was on a thai airways flight from lon to bkk with a few of my mates. in the seat behind us was a couple of young norwegian guys who where drinking black label vodka.

they were dead friendly at first but after a couple of hours u could see the change. now all my mates are big lads but this did not stop the norwegian guy from starting to annoy us and everyone around.

eventually the staff tried to sort the problem but this guy just went beserk, me and my mates had to restrain him becuse the flight crew were useless, eventually we tied him to a seat at the back of the plane and the captain ordered him to be sedated, thats the first time i ever saw that. he was still coherrent but it was so funny for the latter part of the journey as we continually took the piss out of him and when we landed he was arrested by thai police and the whole of the plane was clapping.

I was on a flight from Sydney to Hong Kong once and there was a young guy who was already on the plane which had come from NZ and he was already drunk and proceeded to get drunker.

He was fairly harmless and just wandered around the plane talking to people, he even sat with me for a while but never made much sense. Finally about an hour out of HK he decided he was too hot and started taking his clothes off.

The cabin crew came over and the chief steward gave this guy something that knocked him for a loop.

When the plane landed he got off when we did but he was almost SOBER and very very sick.

ban diabetics.......... :hmmm:

if he had a fit and was in shock you might be right in thinking he might not remember anything.

very common and perhaps his reaction to coming round was one of embarrassment at what he had done....i imagine it was explained to him what had happened?.

but diabetes is a Medical condition and cannot be considered the same as some idiot pissed up.

Archived