Berkeley Backs Off On Banning Marines

Flashermac

I'm not sure why you need to get personal. A trip to Iraq (or anywhere else) is not possible for me at the moment for several reasons. I'm not in great physical condition but also I think I'd be in trouble from day one because of my opinions. If you can get mad at me from a distance how long would I last in the mess hall? Also I don't think it would be possible to travel around without being beholden to the US military. Even during Saddam's time a lot of places were off limits and I imagine it's harder now with checkpoints, barricades etc..The Green Zone might be interesting for a while but not my idea of seeing a country.

True I'm not there but believe me if Bush could get find a way to get the gas price down to 50 cents he'd do it.

Are you seriously trying to tell me oil isn't a major factor in the occupation? Are you telling me it doesn't cost a fortune to guard those pipelines from terrorists? How are ordinary Iraqis benefiting from the revenues?

I'm supposed to phone the Iraqi Embassy in Bangkok and tell them their oil is being stolen? That's just silly. They'd just hang up on me and you know it. Anyway the ambassador is probably getting a cut.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You use terms like "convinced himself" and I am the one getting personal?

Come on, admit it. You don't know crap about what is going on here but you don't mind posting like you do.

I on the other hand have my boots on the ground so you can either listen to what I have to say or come here and prove me wrong. Making such claims from your air conditioned room with a full frig of food is a fools assignment.

But hell, don't take my word for it. There are literally MILLIONS of people that would LOVE to show we are stealing oil as it would put them in power in the US and Great Britain in about ten minuets. That alone should show you the total preposterousness of your claim.

So you can either believe the evidence of your eyes or keep reading the internet as if it were the reference section of the library. (Which it is most assuredly not.) But your know nothing rhetoric does neither of us any good and makes you look like a moron.

OK. I admit I get most of my news from the internet. But all my research suggests that the US is trying to dominate the oil industry...what's left of it...in Iraq. The Hydrocarbon Law that Bush is so eager to push through the Iraqi Parliament is designed to make sure only US companies control the oilfields. In other words Iraq is not free to decide who gets the contracts or how the revenue is spent. If someone barges into your house and tells you how to manage your finances you call the cops right?

Try this...

http://www.handsoffiraqioil.org/

...yeah, yeah I know they look like a bunch of hippies, but there are some good links there too and I haven't got time to write a long essay.

Couple more...

http://priceofoil.org/thepriceofoil/war-terror/iraqi-oil-law/

http://www.alternet.org/waroniraq/43045/

Now you tell me what you see on the ground that proves me wrong. Maybe check the facts with Dr. Hussein al-Shahristani if he'll see you.

Sorry. Again the internet is not the reference section of your library. And those sites look political simply via their names.

Entire nation states would like to prove what you claim, yet they can't do it. In fact they don't even try. So don't think you can via Google.

What I see is us paying close to $10/gal IN Iraq. I see no tankers going to the US without paying. I see no one but IA guarding and shipping the oil that is pumped. I see fuel in the US at record prices.

I DONT see you here. I don't see Hillary and Obama coming to power on the "We're stealing oil" platform. I don't see Russia or China denouncing us for the same thing.

When even your enemies don't charge you with something, chances are the claim is utter BS.

Guest lazyphil

exactly CW, and had you worked in nigeria (perhaps you did) and not iraq for 4 years and developed an afinity with nigerians you would possibly be raising the issue of oil theft from that country more often than you do. i see absolutely no difference in the two only that it seems nigerians are more docile to react to foreign occupation. i dont think it was the US gov intention to get bogged down in the mess that currently are in, they obviously expected them to roll over and give up. more power to the iraqis for saying fuck off!!

Guest lazyphil

ok they told each other to fuck off then blamed the americans because they realised the sunnis and sheites dont love each other. lame isn't it.

keep safe out there.

a lot of the natives seem to think they're just stealing oil...

Which is precisely what they are doing.

This is where you are wrong, we are not stealing it, we are paying for it, and using the money to help rebuild Iraq, better hospitals, more education, and an all over plan that any American would be happy to have. See, it is all in how you spin it.

Sorry. Again the internet is not the reference section of your library. And those sites look political simply via their names.

Entire nation states would like to prove what you claim, yet they can't do it. In fact they don't even try. So don't think you can via Google.

What I see is us paying close to $10/gal IN Iraq. I see no tankers going to the US without paying. I see no one but IA guarding and shipping the oil that is pumped. I see fuel in the US at record prices.

I DONT see you here. I don't see Hillary and Obama coming to power on the "We're stealing oil" platform. I don't see Russia or China denouncing us for the same thing.

When even your enemies don't charge you with something, chances are the claim is utter BS.

The sites look political simply via their names? Is that a reason not to read them? You did know about the Hydrocarbon Law before I brought it up of course?

Sure people are paying record prices for gas but where is the money going? To pay for more security mostly would be my guess. Some people are getting rich of the war.

The mainstream media hardly ever mention the Hydrocarbon Law for some reason but there are plenty of people in the US and around the world who know what's going on. I have no idea why Hillary or Obama don't mention it. I guess they don't want to accuse Bushco of theft on a massive scale.

The Russians and Chinese also know exactly what's happening in Iraq. They've both been excluded from doing business there but complaining about it won't help them. The Russians have their own oil which they can use as a political weapon and the Chinese are doing business where they can...Iran and Sudan for instance...

It's all on the internet.

Archived