Extortion in Pattaya

manchester_dave

You are right - he is already in a jam. I certainly don't have a solution, other than sell the bar and start a legitimate business and set it up properly with the right licenses, work permit, etc. But if everyone took that advice, Pattaya as we know and enjoy it wouldn't exist.

Farang management does seem to make a big difference. Seriously, there are better bars now in Bangkok than when I first arrived alomst 14 years ago (March will be year 14), and it can largely be attributed to Western management. So it is probably better that my advice is ignored.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shygye,

Yes, I realize that, but still, being Thai, her resources may well be deeper than even her husband realizes. I'm just wondering what she is thinking about this and what her family may be able to provide for assistance through connections they may have through extended family and friends. If I needed to dig deep I know that in my wife's family there are some police and army connections that might know somebody, that knows somebody, that could help possibly through their own connections, all of course being favors owed and needing repayment one day that may well cost one more than expected. But it is a possibility. I was just wondering what the OP knew about this and her take on this as well maybe? You'd be amazed at times how these 'village connections' spread out and everyone seems to know someone, that knows someone, that went to school with someone, etc. What's that saying about the degrees of separation? Many connections here, more than you would expect to find at times.

Cent

The whole story seems a bit far-fetched to me. If he's an experienced bar owner then surely he would appreciate the importance of hiring decent security for his bar. If he has hired decent security then they would be able to deal with these small time London wideboys, either on their own or with the help of contacts. But, if the story is to be believed, this clown has opened a bar in Pattaya without any thought for security and without even talking to local bar owners. If so he's a danger to himself, his wife and his customers and should close his bar and get out of Pattaya as quickly as possible.

Hi Wonderlust,

Give the guy a chance, yes he is an experienced bar owner in England where he know whats going on.

He came to Pattaya to open a bar, to enjoy life. The bar is not some club like Tonys or Insomnia with a plethora of security detail.

It is a large bar beer / shop house which he has invested about 2 million baht all in all.

He's not a clown, he is standing his ground and is being procative as I speak. I dont want to go in to to many details but I will keep this post updated as I am very grateful for the advice I have recieved so far.

I am not in Pattaya but will be arriving a week today to help my friend. ( Hopefully it will be sorted by then )

Again with out going in to too many details, these people are carrying out his extrotion of other english bar owners in that area.

Dave

The real key here is to talk to other bar owners FIRST. Find out if others have been or are being shaken down too. If so, what did they do? What cop(s) did they talk to? Who did they hire/pay off?

Just going to the (generic) cops will likely just bring forth another set of open palms, without really solving the problem.

Archived