Chavez Warns of War With Colombia

Flashermac

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps Comrade Hugo has been meddling and the Colombians have had enough.

Dead rebel's laptop shows Chavez is funding rebels, Colombian police say

The Associated Press

Published: March 3, 2008

BOGOTA, Colombia: Colombia's police chief said Monday that documents recovered from a slain rebel leader's computer reveal financial ties between Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez and Colombia's largest guerrilla group, including a recent message that mentions US$300 million in Venezuelan support for the rebels.

The official, Gen. Oscar Naranjo, didn't say if there was any indication in the Feb. 14 message that Venezuela actually delivered this money to the rebels.

Another document found in the laptop belonging to slain rebel leader Raul Reyes suggests financial ties between Chavez and the rebels dating back to 1992, Naranjo said. At the time, Chavez was jailed in Venezuela for leading a coup attempt, and was plotting the comeback that eventually led to his election as president in 1998.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/03/03/america/LA-GEN-Colombia-Chavez-FARC.php

I can understand Ecuador getting their military involved possibly since it happened in their territory or close enough to the border for them to put troops there but what does have to do with Venuezula other than Chavez and the guy were kindrid spirits?

Nothing like a good war in an election year to make things interesting. :smirk:

I wonder if this will slow down the coke trade? hehehe...I've never believed the Columbian government was ever serious about curtailing the cocaine trade. It brings in far more dollars than any other crop (i.e. coffee, etc.) could. Too many people make too much money off it.

Archived