Where are the best jobs for expats in LOS?

hmm manufacturing,im a lead hand on nightshift doing cnc machining,we make parts for boeing,f35 fighter jets for the usa and flighter helicopter parts for europe.

also i look after the machines for holden and ford parts(massive machine and have to check quality aswell as produce my own work),so i would have a good cv from this although i do hate the hassles and problems i get.(many jobs in my field just out of interest)

not sure if working in los would be the dream you may think it would be,remember you have to get up for work & work in stinking hot conditions.

ps sorry for blabing on in your post :cover:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KKM,

Which phase of an Oil and Gas construction project?

FEED / PMC Level or as EPC in either Engineering Procurement or Construction. I think you will find that salaries at the construction level are a lot lower than Engineering and PMC.

True, but there is a worldwide shortage in good construction people these days, just like good senior engineers. Construction tends to close the gap with overtime anyway.

I was mostly pointing out that the OP had missed a significant industry. :hubba:

The most important thing is that you are hired overseas and seconded to Thailand at the outset. Once you are posted here and have a few years proven experience, you can generally move to a new job if required and you should be able to get ex-pat pay (at least I have), but without ex-pat perqs (e.g., home leave, but I go back for work all of the time).

Asking what field is best is a strange, but common, way Farangs think about jobs in Thailand. I don't know, but it seems as though some Farangs think like this: "I was a pizza maker in Des Moines, but here in Thailand I will be an accountant, lawyer or plant manager or whatever." It doesnâ??t work that way. You need to know what you are doing. You need to be well qualified. And you need to start by looking at your qualifications outside of Thailand, and then finding a company that needs that sort of expertise in Thailand.

You are, of course, better off with a foreign company because they pay better and are much less likely to rip you off.

If you are in a decision making or influencing position, you can always try to persuade the company to build that new factory in Thailand. I have seen a few guys succeed very well at doing this, although it is much harder to do now that Thailand has a bad reputation for doing business and serious competition from places such as Vietnam.

One other thing â?? if you are in a managerial or professional position (which is where you want to be), expect to work much harder here than you would back in the US or Europe. Donâ??t go out and party every night (limit it to one day a week). Also, learn to read, speak and write Thai. You donâ??t need to be fluent, but you should know the basics.

My two satang, after living here for 14 years (this month).

the thread is only about "working in LOS"; however there are thousands of expats, using LOS as a hub or base (or whatever) and working in different countries in Asia...

just look around sunday afternoon/evening in Suvannaphum airport...

the thread is only about "working in LOS"; however there are thousands of expats, using LOS as a hub or base (or whatever) and working in different countries in Asia...

just look around sunday afternoon/evening in Suvannaphum airport...

The head of the Thai Revenue Department has noticed this and commented on it several months ago. Unlike most of those in a position of power here, this guy struck me as very smart and shrewed.

Forget about the work permit rules (incidentally, the penalty for a work permit violations went from three months to five years - fodder for another post), the smart approach for Thailand would be to aggresively pursue the tax angle. That is almost exactly what the head of Thailand's Revenue Department said. Let's see if anything comes of it.

One other thing â?? if you are in a managerial or professional position (which is where you want to be), expect to work much harder here than you would back in the US or Europe. Donâ??t go out and party every night (limit it to one day a week). Also, learn to read, speak and write Thai. You donâ??t need to be fluent, but you should know the basics.

I find that I don't work as hard now as I have done for the previous 25 years, but then again the last 20 of those have been away from the EU and before I left I was working Construction on Nuclear Power Plant which is not a 9-5 job. In the Middle East 60 hour weeks were minimum and 72-84 hour weeks were the norm, on top of that being away from home 3-4 months at a time sometimes in desert locations, now that was hard work.

Nowadays I work a core 40 hour week, but have been known to take business calls outside hours and work the occasional 2-3 hours at home in the evening or at weekends, a fair exchange IMHO considering how it used to be. I couldn't agree more with you on your comments about partying, getting a god position in Thailand is half the battle, holding on to such is an ongoing battle of self-restraint. I have a self impossed rule that I will not stay out past 9:30 PM on an evening when I have work the next day and I stick to it about 95% of the time. We get 23 national holidays and 104 weekend days off work which is equivalent to 18 weeks of nights out per year if one wishes so, it is all in the mindset. Whilst language is not a neccesity in order to fulfil ones role technicaly it sure does help you to intergate and be more accepted by the local employees and by local clients.

At the end of the day, those of us who are employed in Thailand on an equivelant package as we would expect back home have probably each achieved it via various differant routes. There is no tried and trusted formular, no route one to success and definatley no simple magic button to press and Voilla here you are. Some people may look at people in mine and others positions and think "Lucky Bastard", but there is no luck involved, it is about hard work, commitment, making your own opportunities and taking full advantage of them.

The most important thing is that you are hired overseas and seconded to Thailand at the outset.

People always say that but wouldn't it seem odd to get a position and then be seen plotting or hinting that it'd be good if you were somehow in Thailand? Rather than other places?

I also wonder whether, for someone like me, who can speak, read and write some basic Thai, it would even be wise to include that on a CV. I'd fear that it would be might be seen as a negative - a suspicious "sex tourist risk" rather than the usual positive it would be with other countries.

Archived