First Draft of History Looks a Bit Rough on Bush

Flashermac

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brave New World, I remember that book. The book by the same author I really enjoyed was Brave New orld Revisited. The author, Aldous Huxley, died the same day President Kennedey was assassinated.

And YES, it is all about control. Before the Civil War, the North freed most of their slaves because it cost more to house and feed them then if they just paid them. Today, a lot of USA citizens feel they are enslaved to huge loads of debt without prospect of ever seeing daylight. Sounds like slavery to me.

Seems like the opposite of the self reliant americans we once were. Now its all about who can promiuse the most gifts from the federal treasury wins the oval office.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

It was true almost a couple hundred years ago when he said it and its certainly come to fruition.

And YES, it is all about control. Before the Civil War, the North freed most of their slaves because it cost more to house and feed them then if they just paid them. Today, a lot of USA citizens feel they are enslaved to huge loads of debt without prospect of ever seeing daylight. Sounds like slavery to me.

It seems the only difference between me and my great, great grandparents is that I get more sick days off than they did.

Back on topic, this week was a good showing for Pres. Bush's legacy with the historic papal visit. The dignity and sincerity with which our (non-Catholic) President received and honored the leader of the world's Catholics speaks eloquently to the moral and spiritual underpinnings of Pres. Bush's administration. Pope Benedict XVI in his remarks clearly acknowledged and praised American exceptionalism. While Europe stares blankly into the abyss, America beholds glory, as ever.

And there was even

(Not a reply)

I am basically a conservative person. For two reasons:

One is based on insight about the accumulated experience of mankind. The wisdom aquired in this long historical process should no be cast overboard by sudden political shift.

The second reason is based on something like chaos theory: you never know the full or final effect of radical action. Better be careful.

But when I am confronted with cons and neocons in real life- like one of these aggressive and pompous neocon clowns - I wonder if my conservatism hasn't gotten me into some bad company.

'While Europe stares blankly into the abyss, America beholds glory as ever'

Tell me Rogueman, how old were you when you got your brain removed? Seriously, it's like having a conversation with someone who's got the intellectual capacity of a rubber duck.

I really can't do anything but laugh at you. :devil:

Seems like the opposite of the self reliant americans we once were. Now its all about who can promiuse the most gifts from the federal treasury wins the oval office.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

It was true almost a couple hundred years ago when he said it and its certainly come to fruition.

A lot of it comes down to this...what do we really get for our taxes? Either give me something for them, such as a pension, protection, decent laws on job protection health care, or don't take the taxes and I'll pay my own way.

What has happened is Government has slowly become my partner in a sense, that is they are always there to take a cut, but to not really deliver anything. Self reliance is fine, unless the government interferes, and takes your money gets in the way etc...when they do, I feel we have a right to expect something in return.

Example, Social security. The government takes almost 8% or something? and that is less I have to invest myself...they then say they might not be able to pay me, and they need reforms...so the answer is simple, let me keep my cash, or else stop wasting it and pay me!

Archived