US Nuclear Charges Fake - Syria

Julian2

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,23612397-5005962,00.html

SYRIA said today that US accusations it had been building a nuclear reactor until its destruction in an Israeli air raid last September were as bogus as American claims that Saddam Hussein's regime had weapons of mass destruction in 2003.

The ruling Baath party's mouthpiece daily compared the photographs of the bombed site shown to US congressmen last week to the images Washington presented to the UN Security Council as alleged evidence of Iraq's non-conventional arsenal in the run-up to the US-led invasion.

"When you look at these pictures... a single image comes to mind - that of US Secretary of State Colin Powell accusing Iraq of hiding weapons of mass destruction and presenting as proof a dossier of photographs,'' Al-Baath said.

"Of course Mr Powell later acknowledged that he had been fooled by the US intelligence services and by conservatives within the administration.

"The new US campaign of lies should surprise nobody - it's a continuation of the same policy of US pressure against Syria that's been going on'' for the past five years, the paper added.

"Syria again rejects the US allegations and reaffirms that it has nothing to hide concerning its legitimate national defences. Syria wants to see peace in the region, unlike the current US administration which has been behind all its wars and crises.''

US national security officials briefed US congressmen on Thursday, presenting intelligence they said showed Syria had been building a secret nuclear reactor for military ends.

They said the plant was being built with the help of North Korea, until its destruction by Israel in an air raid on September 6.

The International Atomic Energy Agency launched an investigation into the US accusations on Friday but also chided both Israel and the United States for their handling of the affair.

Syria roundly rejected the US allegations but promised full co-operation with the UN watchdog.

In an interview published by the Qatari daily Al-Watan on Sunday, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad ridiculed the US accusations.

"Does it make sense that we would build a nuclear facility in the desert and not protect it with anti-aircraft defences?'' he asked.

"A nuclear site exposed to (spy) satellites, in the heart of Syria and in an open space?

"We don't want a nuclear bomb... Where would we use it?... War in the region will effectively remain conventional,'' President Assad said.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
America is the boy who cried 'wolf'....

The purpose of the leftists' exaggerated "outrage" over shortcomings in pre-OIF intelligence was precisely to provide cover for such future instances of threatening actions by America's enemies as the Syrians' recently-destroyed nuclear reactor. It is no surprise that you continue to further violent attacks on America and the West.

LOL

You inhabit a bizarre version of reality, one disconnected/remote/substantially removed from the one in which 'we' live.

You are hilarious. However, I suspect that is unintentional.

Bush and his cronies lied (fact, not exaggeration, to justify their attack on Iraq. Whilst it is seemingly difficult to prove Bush knowingly misled his country/the world, anyone with a modicum of intellect knows this). He should impeached and jailed.

Now, if others choose to use this gross negligence to further their aims, it's really not surprising. The Syrian administration is hardly known to be a paragon of virtue. You reap what you sow RY.

Try to display a degree of honesty and integrity...and intelligence.

Finally to accuse me of contributing to further attacks upon the 'west' is futile and pathetic. I guess you're a 'true' patriot, right? Blind, deaf and dumb to the shortcomings of those you so slavishly follow. In a democracy you are supposed to be able to criticise those in power, it's a basic human right. The right to freedom of opinion and expression.

You were born in the wrong era and country RY, 1940s Germany would've been more suited to your style of thinking. I bet you don't even understand such a conceptual point....and I'm damn sure you don't see anything wrong with your world view.

America is the boy who cried 'wolf'....

Maybe' date=' but "wolf" is often followed by "BOOOOOOM!!!!!!!"[/quote']

Or more likely, silence...

Don't get me wrong, Syria is governed by a nasty bunch and I wouldn't be at all surprised to find they have been developing all kinds of unpleasant ways to kill people...but I guess the irony of Americas predicament is lost on some....It makes me sad that the majority of the good people in America have been to betrayed, misled, deceived and let down by the bunch of fuckwits currently (and quite possibly for the foreseeable future) 'running' the show there.

Seymour Hersh wrote did a lot of research for an article that he wrote for The New Yorker in the Feb 11 & 18 2008 issue. His conclusion was that it was probably not a nuclear bomb plant or for toxic gas but probably a missle plant. His research seems to be very thorough.

I could not find a link on the magazines archives.

zen

Archived