US Nuclear Charges Fake - Syria

Julian2

I'm curious....the US really has very little power without at least some backing from the international community. It can't and wont be able to attack yet another sovereign state after the Iraq debacle.

I agree with this and add that we're a republic. The president can not act without the consent of the congress. He couldn't go into Iraq without congress (who were fed incorrect facts).

The present mood and sentiment does not support an invasion of any country.

I believe you are both quite wrong.

Faust is just popping off. America can attack whoever we want, whenever we choose. We do not need a permission slip from foreign criminals and dictators. This was made an explicit issue of the last Presidential election and the commies lost. Winning matters, Faust.

As for your arguments, steve, the President alone is the Commander in Chief and is sworn to defend the country. Iran is waging war on us. They have been kidnapping, torturing, and murdering Americans for thirty years. Real Americans hate this crap. There has already been the Kyl-Lieberman Amendment in the Senate. If and when the balloon goes up on Iran, the Congress will be given the opportunity to get on one side or the other of history, but the President retains the Constitutional power to order our forces into action.

Finally, anyone who thinks the United States presently lacks the military power to utterly destroy Iran in but a few weeks time using conventional weaponry alone (i.e. no nukes) is a fool. We have a Navy and an Air Force for good reason. They are the biggest and the best the world has ever seen. If President Bush unleashes Chiang, Persian butt will be well and truly whipped. With a quickness.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, we all know how good the US military is....just look at Iraq and Afganistan....what a great job the military might has done there...you won? LOL. Get a grip...

You are also quite wrong RY...America can't do as it pleases...not anymore and day by day it loses more and more of its power and influence.

Your army isn't even the biggest.....and you couldn't afford another war. America is screwed economically at present and for the foreseeable.

Oh and btw, your beloved administration has been kidnapping, torturing and murdering for quite time as well....guess it's only wrong if the 'bad' guys do it, right?

You would both benefit from reading this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Powers_Act

"...the War Powers Resolution, is a resolution of Congress that stated that the President can send troops into action abroad only by authorization of Congress or if American troops are already under attack or serious threat."

Hence the effort that went into the Kyl-Lieberman attempt to bypass Congress and show that US forces are under attack by regular Iranian forces (Revolutionary Guards/Quds Force and not just terrorists).

Yes, we all know how good the US military is....just look at Iraq and Afganistan....what a great job the military might has done there...you won? LOL. Get a grip...

You are also quite wrong RY...America can't do as it pleases...not anymore and day by day it loses more and more of its power and influence.

Your army isn't even the biggest.....and you couldn't afford another war. America is screwed economically at present and for the foreseeable.

Oh and btw, your beloved administration has been kidnapping, torturing and murdering for quite time as well....guess it's only wrong if the 'bad' guys do it, right?

No one likes the biggest boy on the block. And yes, the military does a great job when they are allowed to do the job they train for. AQ-I and AQ-A have one zero engagements. If the military was allowed to fight as it should, you would not see the troubles now. The flip side of that though is that there would be next to no one left in either country of fighting age. And I dont like that idea either. Better to "declare victory" and leave them to themselves to work out.

You and I really would not want to see the US go Fascist or exert "Manifest Destiny" as it did in the 1800s. And Faust's view makes the US look allot like Germany in the 1920's.

Hence the effort that went into the Kyl-Lieberman attempt to bypass Congress and show that US forces are under attack by regular Iranian forces (Revolutionary Guards/Quds Force and not just terrorists).

It seems odd to me that you characterize a piece of Senate legislation as an "attempt to bypass Congress".

Archived