Monthly cost of living (Sukhumvit) ?

If the service is crap I won't tip. I had an incident in Greenwich Village a while back in a nice and expensive fish restaurant.

The place was packed and the service was slow. Some celebrity, haven't got a feckin clue who he was, sat down on a table next to us with his wife/girlfriend/whatever and the waitress who was serving me suddenly gave all the attention to the celeb whereby the service she gave me became non-existent.

When the bill came and, as happens in the states, the cheeky fecker added the tip to the bottom of the bill without even asking, I thought feck this. I put a minus sign next to the tip, recalculated it and left the exact amount less the tip.

I wrote on the back of the bill that the amount should be deducted because the service was slightly less than shite.

A holy commotion erupted and the manager came over. I told him what had happened and about the complete lack of service which followed the celeb coming into my restaurant. He said he was sorry but I would have to at least pay the bill without the tip, at which point I threw the difference at him and told him I would never come back.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always got a high level of service just because the girls understood very well that if they treat me well then they will get me back as a regular customer.....

Cmon Drogon - who treats you well *here* ? If there is a more regular 'customer', I dont know who he is ...

:clown::clown::clown::clown:

Gobbledonk, who posts way too often

OK, I know this is a tedious one, but lets leave Sanuk out of the equation. It seems that a condo on Sukhumvit can set you back anything from 25K to 200K+. Excluding things like medical and dental, what sort of monthly outlay would I be talking to live on/near Sukhumvit ? I dont want to live on street food exclusively, so I'd be looking to cook a lot of my own meals, and I dont have to travel to/from a job. At this stage, I'd spend my days learning Thai and possibly doing a bit of code cutting to keep my hand in, but I'm not actively considering working in BKK - this is largely a 'what if'.

Any feedback most welcome.

(OH, I am just examining my options, as my current employer isn't doing the little things like pay my superannuation on time ...)

Hi GD,

I live in a 120 sq meter apartment about a 5 minute walk from the Ploen Chit BTS station and a 15 minute walk from Soi 4.

Rent is 25 kb per month.

Electricity ranges from 2kb to 5kb during the hot season and when the kids are here.

I have True ISP and UBC and the cost is less than 3000 baht for both.

The maid is 2000 bhat per month and she spends 3 or 4 hours per week.

The water bill is 107tb per month plus bottled water is delivered to my front door @ 68 baht for a six liter sixpack.

It is a pleasant place to live. There is a pool on the top floor (open 24 hours) and an exercisr room. The last tenant in my apt. was an officer for the British Embassy and she referred me to the maid (or vice-versa).

There must be something that I have forgotten as I spend money like crazy. Maybe the live-in GF and travel have something to do with that.

As a matter of fact the place next door is slightly smaller and available.

Let me know if you have any more questions about my living expenses. A friend lives between Soi 15 and 13 and has a HUGE (over 200 meters) place in a much newer building for 42KB per month. I may move into that building.

zen

Roi Et, Surin, Udon - man, the possibilities are endless. Time to dig out that map of Isaan and try to plot a route which takes them all in. Did I mention that I also have an email from a gal hoping I will visit her in Chiang Mai ? Could take six months just to see the countryside !

:smirk:

....At todays exchange and interest rates you need approx 375,000 Euro invested to get that sort of return, I am not there yet but working on it....

375,000 Euro is about GBP 300,000. If you invested it at say 5% and lived off Baht 100,000 per month it would run out after about 25 years.

Another scenario (very simplistic of course). If you retired with GBP 1 million in the bank, which is about Baht 60 million, invested it at 5% and lived of about Baht 238,000 per month, you'd still have your original 60 million in the bank, 25 years later!! :surprised:

Archived