Monthly cost of living (Sukhumvit) ?

Have sometimes to work when other sleep or during the week end etc...

we have full understanding for you!

you seem to write a lot of posts during the time you are working (then when your posts contain a certain sense of guilt) or during the time you are sleeping (when your posts get a bit unlogic or even surrealistic) - but that's much better and safer than sleeping during work (remember the guy who murdered a dozen sleeping security guards in BKK)! :neener:

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drogon,

I prefer to think as myself as a wandering minsteral playing a tune to earn a penny rather than the inudtruial whore I am, but in order to to be a high class whore in a place you choose to call home you get fucked along the road, if I could convert the ups and downs of my life into a roller coaster ride it would be banned due to the number of heart attacks it would induce. As the peaks get higher the troughs get deeper and I do all I can nowadays to avoid another trough, I have been through enough in my lifetime I dont think I could take anymore.

I was asked last week did I know anybody who was interested in joining as a Contract's Manager for a company out here. This was a couple of minutes after I had turned down the job because I am relocating to UK.

I said if I thought of anyone, I would let the guy know. He replied that the salary would be 880,000 bht per month (equivalent in Dirhams that is).

When I replied "is that all?", he replied "of course car, accommodation etc would be on top of that, plus bonus".

It's getting feckin crazy out here.

Teddy,

The rates are getting to a level where I may even reconsider chasing the petro-dollar again, if I was offered the right package I would detinately give it consideration, as it is this 9-5 job keeps me ticking over.

I don't know how long this is sustainable for.

I pay equivalent 125,000 bht/month for my villa rental which is, believe it or not, very very cheap beacuse the government intoduced a law some years back that rent increases could only be 5% maximum per year. Problem is that when people leave the landlords double the rent for the next guy. When I leave, the rent on my villa will be equivalent 238,000/month.

I was in a meeting this morning discussing the launch of a new project that we are doing, most of the apartments have been sold. The price - equivalent to 85,000,000 bht for a two bed apartment measuring 1,350 ft2.

And people are still queing up to buy them.

Hi,

So, you are making all that money, but this says it all to me:

"Not where I want to be"

I may not make the same kind of money (not even close and likely never will), but I *am* where I want to be. I enjoy my life thoroughly and I am not sure I'd want to trade this for a life of nothing but work and stress.

Sanuk!

In some ways KS you are absolutely right but in others so wrong.

I have been out here for almost 14 years and have worked my butt off to get to where I am now. I have worked for only two companies in my entire career, the one I am with now I have worked for 21 years and I am finally a main board director.

I may not be, 'where I want to be right now', but I will be in about 42 days when I leave Dubai and return to UK for good, which is where I have always wanted to be.

I really think you need a balance in your life as to where you want to live and in what circumstances, with what you want to achieve and how much sacrifice you are willing to make to acheive it. That's where I am in full agreement with Mekong and Suadam regarding the people who work for much less in Thailand than they would make back home.

I am a greedy capitalistic money loving bastard and I will always go where the money is but I would not give up everything to earn the most money I can, that is why I have never worked in Saudi. Dubai is hardly a hardship post.

I would never live in a place where I earned peanuts but I felt spiritually at home or just simply loved the cheap shagging. That has 'regret later in life' stamped all over it. However that doesn't stop me yearning for a piece of it now and then. But as I said, it's all a question of balance.

I think I will, one day, be grateful to SD, Mekong or Teddy for their insights...

At 31 I almost did a big mistake -> to stay in Thailand at (almost) all costs.

I now realise that, despite every fibber of my body wanting desperatly to be there, it would have been stupid to do so.

I am about to double my salary in 3 months and although I can never expect to earn what mekong is earning, still my decision is correct.

I have never been after the money (otherwise I would have stayed with my first company).

But in this world we need money to achieve (partly) our dreams.

I feel very grateful (and lucky) to have listened to some board members.

I am earning a quite decent salary which will continue to grow quite fast but I now know that my dream can be achieved but not now and maybe never, which is to work in Asia with a salary similar to the one I earn back here...

(almost impossible in my field)

At worst, I will retire at 40-45 years old in Asia.

Note: Drogon full of abject gratitude

:beer::bow:

"So, you are making all that money, but this says it all to me:

"Not where I want to be"

I may not make the same kind of money (not even close and likely never will), but I *am* where I want to be. I enjoy my life thoroughly and I am not sure I'd want to trade this for a life of nothing but work and stress."

LOL!! Ok mate, I admit, it f***ckin sucks to be here -especially worn out after the long squash session downstairs this evening. I just wish I was you. You're so inspirationnal.

Something I do strongly believe and you've got a point, people strive for better because they don't feel satisfied enough with what they have. The face of happiness in the construction site workers' eyes is something amazing to me, but quite possibly a good reason why society doesn't blow off.

"Nothing but work and stress"

I suspect you're trying to comfort someone's ego here but get a grip and realize how ridiculous that assertion is. Professionnally succesful individuals aren't particulary fun unloving or masochist folks, you should guess getting more succesful/powerful/wealthy is source of (intense) pleasure and otherwise difficult to reach opportunities - including freedom for instance of moving to a greener pasture when someone realises the corner of paradise he's living in is getting more and more of a bitter aftertaste.

Dullnight, tax free globaliser

Archived