Monthly cost of living (Sukhumvit) ?

Yes I am targeting 30k a month...Today I've only spent 300 Baht which includes three meals and a BTS trip to Sala Daeng ;) But of course in life' date=' you get what you pay for.[/quote']

"you get what you pay for" That's just it innit? I fail to understand why anyone, who did not have to, would want to live in a third world shithole and try to do it on the local wage. I'm not being snobbish or taking the piss. I genuinely cannot comprehend why. Can you enlighten me? It seriously makes no sense to me.

Cheers,

SD

There are a few reasons. I am in my early thirties and one day will want to retire. I don't want to blow through my savings and have nothing to show for it but a few digital photos of my barfines and a dozen empty bottles of Chang. I didn't move here for non stop partying or to by a luxury condo. I enjoy partaking in things that are cheap or free, I love Thai food, the street vendors, Thai language, road trips from province to province and enjoy time with my friends. I just don't need much right now so I don't see any reason to increase my spending.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plenty of Thais get paid more than I do - I do it for other reasons - not all of us have Champaigne tastes ;) and are quite content to live a easier life.

After taking my kids school fees out of my salary - I am also living on close to 30 K - with wife and family :) and I do ok.

"you get what you pay for" That's just it innit? I fail to understand why anyone, who did not have to, would want to live in a third world shithole and try to do it on the local wage. I'm not being snobbish or taking the piss. I genuinely cannot comprehend why. Can you enlighten me? It seriously makes no sense to me.

Cheers,

SD

I truly wonder this myself, and I really donâ??t want to sound like I am being superior or anything, but it has always baffled me. Ran in to this same thing in China and was baffled there as well.

For me, one of the major advantages of working overseas is the fact that most of my living expenses, primarly housing and transportation, is paid for. I can save a significant part of my income, a lot more then I ever could working in the US. Living and working overseas with no long term benefit makes no sense.

Gee - maybe not everyone is here on a expat package for a start! Many different reasons why people and how they choose to live here.

Actually both of you do sound a tad elitist - have you never lived in small studio - it's not that bad if you haven't

For me, one of the major advantages of working overseas is the fact that most of my living expenses, primarly housing and transportation, is paid for. I can save a significant part of my income, a lot more then I ever could working in the US. Living and working overseas with no long term benefit makes no sense.

That's my take as well. Especially when taking that year or two off will *seriously* fuck up your work prospects back in farangland. And that's a serious issue if one is in their prime earning years of 30s-50s. Not so much of an issue if you're just a recent Uni grad.

CTO, you are an exception as you are running your own biz and never plan upon returning to farangland. Huge difference.

Cheers,

SD

I don't think so - a number of people here are trying to run their own businesses as well as do their own thing.

It may not fit corporate america mold - but the world would be a very dull place is all of us subscribed to the <> theory.

Works for some but not all - in fact I bet a poll here would reveal I am not the only expat here not on a expat package.

It may reveal there are more "non expat Packages" than you think and obviously without the accompanying expat benefits.

That doesn't change the fact that I do not get why people take employment overseas for waaayyyy less than they would make in farangland (especially) IF they are planning upon returning to farangland.

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just relating fact from experience re: the "fuck up work prospects" thing, and I was employed by major corporations while overseas -- not fucking off "finding myself" or chasing whores, or even teaching (no offense to teachers, but we all know what that job translates to to the folks in farangland). Even my high level executive positions did not impress anyone (the expat experience excluded me from jobs per the HR folks) when I went back to the States for a bit and was looking for work a few years ago.

Cheers,

SD

Can we just take a step back here, please ? Giving advice on living costs on/near Suk is a different thing to telling people how to organise their careers !

SD, I accept that your experience has made you wary of falling into the trap of having a 'gap' on your resume, and this is one of the reasons that I didnt make this committment much earlier in life. The simple reality is that I was about one deadline away from telling everyone to go and get fucked, and that would have looked a lot worse on my resume. As it turned out, we have parted on good terms and I will attempt to pick up the pieces in Brissie in 6 months time.

The concept of a 'sabbatical' is well understood in academia, but the corporate way is to simply work an employee until he is ready for long service leave, the funny farm or a meeting with his maker. After 30 years of working for the man, I just want 6 months where someone isnt emailing me to see how I'm getting on with project #452529, and I'm sure ginseng's reasons for moving to BKK are equally compelling - it isnt all about dollars and cents.

My final two bahts worth is this - if the planet continues on its current downward spiral, we may all have to get a little more 'Thai' in terms of our approach to survival. They would slot back into an agrarian lifestyle a lot more quickly than the majority of Farang - when was the last time any of us even killed and prepared a chicken ? I remember saying to mum 'Who does this anymore ? Why dont you just go to the supermarket like normal people ?' - that was as recent as 1985.

I can see it now - the Thailand of 1960, coming soon to a province near you. Better dig out those gumboots and get ready for harvest. :smirk:

GD, I understand totally and respect that. I'm just saying, "look out for the dogshit on the street that you did not see," i.e., there's always a gotcha.

And you are better armed if you know the gotcha before it happens. CTO knows what I am saying, he's just being pedantic.

Cheers,

SD

Archived