Monthly cost of living (Sukhumvit) ?

SD, whilst I can see your point and I would'nt want to live in Thailand on 30k baht a month myself, you have to remember that loads of people who come to Thailand are not in executive or professional jobs. And even though they could well earn more in farangland they find the the lifestyle or quality of life better in Thailand than their home country. Others are maybe just planning on having a shorter spell living in Thailand, whether its 6 months or 2 years and since they are not in a "career" as such or not trying to get their way up the greasey pole they are not concerned about a break on their CV?

Simie.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe, but reality is, that everyone, unless independently wealthy (then: adopt me!) does have to look at that scenario. I'm just being the reality check, which is a position that gets all the "you motherfucker" insults. I've no problem with that and am just trying to share experience that will help someone, somewhere.

Cheers,

SD -- plenitudinous

"have you never lived in small studio - it's not that bad if you haven't "

I have, as well as taking a mototaxi and happily have made those things of the past. Much more comfortable with putting in more (profitable )work in exchange of more comfort (and logically the more money you make the easier it is to make even more).

Would consider proximity to the office and immediate acess to taxis most important points and we have actually found large places for more decent prices (like 480sqm for 130K asking price) but quite enjoy the view over the city we get from present serviced apartment. Too bad we're still paying the european appartment rent as I would have moved straight away in a large penthouse in Sathorn .

Besides we went 5people to St Moritz G club last night and the bill mmust have been around 40K, one can easily do away with tens of times the OP's budget in BKK.

SD, I really do see the point you are making. In fact I know my self from personal experience. When I moved back to the UK. It took me a couple of years (work wise) to get back to where I was when I moved to Thailand. But what I was getting at is I think there are some blokes who just don't care and like to take life as it comes?

Simie.

I'm just saying, "look out for the dogshit on the street that you did not see," i.e., there's always a gotcha

Agreed, and that would be the case if it were Sydney instead of Bangkok. I survived my teens and twenties in Sydney, trod in *plenty* of dogshit, and I'm still here to tell the tale. I accept that I am very naive when it comes to the myriad ways in which the girls can make a meal out of a dipshit Farang, but isnt that part of the experience that I am about to undertake ? Becoming a 'lot my cynical' might keep a few more baht in my pocket, but it wont necessarily make me any happier when my 6 months are up and I have to return to the labour camp. As I've said beforE, I know the laughter stops the minute the baht stop, but at least there will be *some* laughter. Your attitude seems to be 'dont let anyone take you for a ride', whilst mine is 'will this be a ride that I'll enjoy ?'. At some stage, every girl I've ever known has (to some degree) taken advantage of my generosity - when they invent the perfect woman, I'll be in the queue.

One of the ironies of your other post is that I'm often told that I am a cynical bastard, at least here in Oz. Compared to OH and yourself, it would appear that I am a neophyte. I've read enough posts to know that Thailand can really fuck with the unsuspecting, but if I find myself in Isaan handing over a sinsot, or asking a girl for her bank account details, or wondering where my wallet is, you'll be the first to know.

Gobble

<>

Nope - I'm making the point any people you know live happily on far less than amounts being discussed here. Not everyone wants the corporate lifestyle - I opt out by start my own business - others do it by indulging in their own passions - it's makes for a far more interesting world. I find it a bit odd you need to ask here why does someone try to live in Thailand cheaply when many of the people you mix with do that daily and have done so for years.

Reality is a bitter pill sometimes :) Question was why people choose to live a lifestyle that's not corporate oriented - many do - and not everyone needs champagne/cigar tastes.

That said I DO miss the cheap champagne Australia offers!

If it's not too late, I suggest you reconsider Bangkok and go instead to Khon Kaen. KK will provide your sought-after Thai cultural thing, the unie runs a great Thai langauge programme, it's cheaper in every respect and there's no NEP/SC/PP man-trapwaiting to relieve you of your cash (there is a night-life scene, but very different from BKK).

Guest lazyphil

i lived in a box room with a beautiful view of patong mountains for 10 months. some of the most unforgettable days of my life. :)

Archived