Suddenly, everyone is a working girl ..

gobbledonk

All sounds reasonable for an upcountry girl. Son away with sister could be many reasons, a bit of what she says, location of a better school, too many possibilities to get alarmed.

Working on the farm is certainly standard stuff and womens work for a large part, remember that many of the men will tend toward idle layabouts, and is a contributory factor in some girls choosing to do other work, but now we know she is a country girl not a UT town girl.

The quality of English has another explanation and she alludes to it in her post. They have books, not just dictionaries but books, written especially for this very purpose, phrases to use when emailing farang, I know they have English and German, not sure about others. I found this out when a friend of mine (see avatar) showed me one for sms texts.

I am getting slightly worried that you khid maak. It sounds like you're looking so hard for a scam you're going to miss it if it happens and all the good stuff too.

Play along, have a little faith, eyes wide open.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many of the girls are quite good at writing and reading English, especially the younger ones who did well in their English classes in school. Some are quite good, and most are much better reading and writing than in conversational English. Also, the Thai teachers are usually good teaching the English in written form. They just are not usually that good in teaching conversational English, as they do not use English much in conversation or have a native English speaker around to practice on.

So, I see no contradictions here with her being able to use a book to help her translate, she also may be getting some help from the interset shop owner, maybe even from a farang at times possibly. But no real red flags are raised here for me from what you have posted so far. But, eyes open my man, and better to be a little skeptical at least rather than gullible and not looking for any warning signs. You'll do alright. Just don't get too negative and skeptical. They are not all scammers and schemers, even if they are looking for that one farang to help them.

Cent

They are not all scammers and schemers, even if they are looking for that one farang to help them.

Indeed, and Gobble, ask yourself, what do you dream of? Chances are if it's something fairly unattainable and a chance presented itself you would do some stuff you might not believe you could. Are you not already on such a path?

Just don't get too negative and skeptical. They are not all scammers and schemers, even if they are looking for that one farang to help them.

I'm sorry guys, but if there is one message that comes out of 90% of the posts on Thai360 its 'be negative and skeptical where Isaan women (more usually, Isaan whores) are concerned. As I said, I get an email from a girl in woop-woop who has near perfect written English, in the midst of messages from other girls (some in BKK) with English that would make you weep, alarm bells start ringing. You both know the same stories we've talked about on the board - I wont know until I get to Udon Thani, but its difficult for me to accept anyone in Asia at face value anymore, male or female. They just want cash so damned badly, from the corrupt bastards at the top level of government right down the chain. I'm hoping that six months on the ground may soften my attitude, and LOS is still so much better than Oz in many respects, but I'd like to be able to take off this damned flashing light above my head for at least a day or two.

Gobble

Thai360 is a great resource and whilst much of what is put forth has great value and is backed up by real world experience it is but one small, very very small, slice of a massive and complex structure that is this country we all profess much love for. Whilst 90% of posts may well suggest a healthy dose of skepticism and do so based on actual experience my own, albeit very limited, experience suggests this accounts for way less than 10% of all that is happening on the ground, less even.

Yes everybody here has their hand out one way or another, and the more of a tourist you appear, at all levels, the more they are likely to take that chance with you. Eyes open, look hard enough and you will probably find, no matter where you live, that you are being scammed, ripped off, whatever. It just gets wrapped up in something warm and fuzzy that you don't really think about it or see it for what it is. Thailand and a few other places tends to be a bit more open about such things. Furthermore I think it wrong to see all of this as being 'ripped off' or 'scammed', try to look at things a bit more holistically.

If you are the sort of person who has led a life punctuated by experiences that reveal you as gullible then you might want to be wary and on guard but if you consider yourself more normal and able to spot the Nigerian scam from the header in your inbox without actually reading it then you have little to fear. Could you be 'taken'? Yup damn sure you could. Will it happen? Only if you let it. Life is a rough but personal experience not best judged through the history of others.

But then I'm just a fool :content:

Fool,

5555555! We are both on the same page here and writing our replies at the same time which are very similar. :thumbup: :)

Cent

We might both have had similar experiences, we might both have good Thai women, we might both know other non Thais who have good Thai women, we might both have never been badly ripped off or scammed despite a fair number of years in Thailand. We might be a majority of two but I'm skeptical of that. :):beer:

In Thailand, children are easy to look after and not demanding. My son is the same and he doesn't live with me during the school term. He has to go back to stay with my little sister some where else. I don't want him to go but my sister needs a friend so I have to let him go
????

What a lame excuse.

Everyone giving up her own flesh and blood to "provide a friend for her sister" I wouldn`t touch with the end of a stick.

If she can abandon her child with such apparent easy, how much less will it take to walk away from hubby/BF?

I know this is an all too common family setup in Thailand, but the comment about "friend for her sister" geez. She should run a pet shop instead, then she could make everyone happy.

hn

I know this is an all too common family setup in Thailand, but the comment about "friend for her sister" geez. She should run a pet shop instead, then she could make everyone happy.

What really blows me away is that some of the freelancers I met have kids, and they dont seem to see it as a biggie that mum has to go off at midnight and often stays out till dawn - the 'extended family' is something that Asians and some Europeans really have up their sleeve. Presumably, its quid pro quo, and the girl has an additional set of little feet to keep track of during the day. Still saddens me when I see 8 year old kids hanging around Nana in the early hours, trying to sell roses etc.

Archived