Suddenly, everyone is a working girl ..

gobbledonk

Hi All,

Those who have followed my adventures on the Asian dating site will know that it hasnt been quite the pot of gold I may have hoped for - until now (perhaps..). B. is from Udon Thani, has a 5 year old and her emails are fantastically down to earth - many of the other gals seem to have us walking down the aisle from the first message ..

The problem is that I've become pretty cynical about many of the gals online (yep, me, the ratbag who hangs out with FL gals on Suk Soi 4 - go figure) and alarm bells ring when I see English like this:

I'll be so happy if you visit my province. If you don't mind I can show you around. I'm sure you will like it. Udon is a nice place to live (in my opinion). I was born and grow up here so I love it so much. But sometimes I might have to go and work somewhere else so I can save money to build my own house here one day (it's my dream)

OK - most of us dream of building our own house one day, but is this the standard of English one would expect from an average 32 year old woman from Isaan ? Except for 'I was born and grow up here', this is better than a lot of the stuff submitted in first year Uni courses here in Oz ! We have high school kiddies who have lived here their entire lives and cant string a sentence together to save themselves : it would seem the standard of English in Udon Thani is significantly better than I had been led to believe. By contrast, a lot of the messages I've received from Isaan girls are very basic - they write like the average BG speaks in many cases.

From her photos, B. appears normal enough, if a little tomboyish for my liking (as opposed to 'boyish' : if she was wearing a frilly skirt and six inch heels, I might be worried). I am more than happy to have a guide in Udon Thani, and I do like the tone of her emails, but I have to find out where she developed this level of proficiency - there is nothing in her profile to suggest that she has travelled outside of the LOS, but thats what I mean about alarm bells.

Worst case, she has worked in the bar at some stag e, possibly spent time in Farangland - who am I to cast aspersions on her ? I guess I could bluntly ask her if she has spent time overseas, but that seems a little intrusive : I guess I'll just have to go to Isaan and work it out for myself. Feedback (on the English above) most welcome.

Ta,

Gobble

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to write a lengthy reply but think it better to be short, anyway my thoughts.

English was most probably a translation of her thoughts done at the internet shop where she goes to do her dating site stuff.

Of course there are so many possibilities it is impossible to speculate but I think if you have your eyes open and a good feel for people in general and women in particular you will soon know if she is good or not.

And if she does turn out to have a preference for the frilly skirts and 6 inch heels well I guess you know that a few of us here would be more than happy to review the pictures for you :spin: :hubba:

You may have missed the episode here where a "Good Girl" was corresponding with a few guys from this board, and all the bullshit that went down...long story short, this "good Girl" played the same bullshit games any whore would play. She thought nothing of it at all, and when she was confronted with it, she said "...well I don't think I actually lied..." They have a way of manipulating things that is amazing.

As for internet "dating" and "hook ups," be assured, you are most likely NOT the only guy she is onto, and making these promises to.

My guess is it's a farang who wrote this, and an English one at that. I have written quite a few letters to farang 'boyfriends' over the years for my regulars, usually while recuperating, between rounds in the afternoon. I usually included a bit more 'thai speak' in mine, to perpetuate the illusion she had written it. I doubt I'm the only one to have provided this service, come on fellas, own up!

fool ,

a 32 year old Isaan female individual with a 5 year old boy who claims to be dreaming of having her own house and speaks perfect English on a dating site . This is too sad to laugh your ass off , it is simply tha same too many of them are after . The one and only falang who swallows the bait , that's all . I don't say they are bad girls but the falang-in-love better stay sober . Further details see Khun Stickman latest trip to Isaan , the man explains it all .

Thinks BuBi

OK, ya perpetual cynics - I havent put a down payment on her block of land yet :)

This is how I phrased things in my last reply:

I'm very keen to hear your spoken English, as your written English is so much better than the girls who message me on AFF (mainly Chinese girls looking to marry a Westerner). I had no idea that the standard of English was so high in the provinces - many of the people I meet in Bangkok cant even read English

If a Farang is doing the legwork, he may indeed opt to start throwing a little more Thaiglish around, but the truth is that I wont know until I hear her speak, will I ? I am also confused by the photos - serious, unsmiling, no makeup and those tomboy clothes - if this is a sell job, its an interesting one. By contrast, many of the Thai girls on the same board have the usual 'knock you down at a hundred metres smile' and many are wearing push-up bras to get their assets out there - B. looks like a feminist by comparison, albeit minus the hairy legs and hideous face (please tell me there are no actual femi-nazis outside of BKK ?).

If one of you is writing emails for girl(s) in Udon Thani, can you pls PT me so that I dont spend any more time replying to, well, you !

Later,

Gobble

Archived