Wearing Symbolic Yellow by Farangs

sakoni2002

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some Thais were very happy that I wore it sometimes.

(just because the gf wanted me to wear it)

Some Thais were indifferent.

I think that there is a huge difference depending on who is the farang wearing it.

In my office the Thais were very happy that I wore it every monday, I did not have any problem wearing it at the office as everyone wore the same.

The Thais working with me were honored, but do not forget that they knew who I was, they knew "my social status" etc...So they saw it as a sign that I respected their country and the King.

When I was out of the office it made me uncomfortable....(especially when working at the airport).

Some Thais there were quite indifferent.

Of course, I met a few tourists who were wearing the yellow (or other coulours but still the King T shirt/polo) T shirt but on other days of the week...was definitely ridiculous.

Just my experience.

Never tried and would prefer not to try....

Do you mean a "naughty bar" (gogo - beer bar) or a regular bar/cafe/pub?

I saw more than a few Thais wearing it (especially BG) in naughty bars but never saw a foreigner wearing one.

When talking to the BG they thought normal to have the king T shirt.

If it was a foreigner, I think it might be seen as shocking.

I do not know but you can try it and tell us afterwards how you have been treated.

Circa May / June 2006 around the time of the 60th anniversary I did wear yellow on a Monday for a few weeks but that was the limit.

2 years on I see more farangs in my company wearing yellow on a Monday than Thai's and most of them were not even here 2 years ago, it is rather interesting to hear what the Thai's say about them.

My only concession nowadays is that on the rare occasions that I am expected to wear a Tie I ensure that the primary colour follows birthday colours, Yellow, Pink, Green, Orange and Blue for Monday - Friday, sod purple and red that is weekend (why does wednesday has 2 shades of green and also 2 Buddha's Pang Um Baatr and Pang Par Lelai?)

Only time I have ever done it - and note I look awful in yellow - was during father's day ceremony at my son's school. Father's "had" to all wear yellow - fair enough - wouldn't ever do it just because it's a Monday, and I would never never wear the pink shirt - pink makes me look - err - hungover.

Only time I have ever done it - and note I look awful in yellow - was during father's day ceremony at my son's school. Father's "had" to all wear yellow - fair enough - wouldn't ever do it just because it's a Monday, and I would never never wear the pink shirt - pink makes me look - err - hungover.

Admit it, you are the same as me look bloody awful in most colours, for me colour coordination is a black shirt and tie with black trousers, not only does it hark back to my long haired goth days some 25 years ago black also hides the coffee stains on the clothing when I spill it all down me after only 2-3 hours sleep and trying to look respectable first thing in the morning.

According to Thai Beliefs I am

Character : hard working, diligent, honest

Optimum profession : writer, poet, doctor, scientist, actor, archaeologist

Very lucky day/color : Monday / white

Lucky day/color : Sunday / orange

Unlucky day/color : Thursday / yellow

Thank fux my father in law is first generation Thai-Chinese and respects the fact I am a Dragon, but I like how mum in law has mine and my wifes rspective buddah's (Pang Par Lelai, the blessed one and Pang Tawai Natra, restraint) in her home that she blesses daily. Its all a load of bollox in my eyes, but I pretend to understand so as not to rock the boat, my signature works on many levels but the game goes on.

Archived