New computer time...

Old Hippie

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think that computer matches your needs very well. It's built for gaming and has a lot of top of the line stuff where you don't need it--it probably will perform the same for you as a computer half the price.

Graphics cards are for gaming--if you don't do any gaming, you don't need a high powered card. Even though it's a video card, it's really for 3D stuff that it's necessary, something you aren't doing--you never once mention gaming.

In terms of upgradability, it only has one extra drive bay. My no-name computer has 4. In my experience the brand name computers skimp on important things that most people don't think about, like the power supply. They give you all the heavy-hitting stuff that sounds good and attracts buyers, but don't really do a good job on the non-sexy stuff.

If you haven't bought it yet, I'll start looking around for an example of something I'd go for in your situation.

Thanks, I have the one I mentioned sitting here in the box unopened, I have 2 weeks to return it if un opened. I hit a pre fourth of July sale, and my neighbor's kid works at best buy, so a good deal got me out for less than $1000.

As for Gaming, not really into it, but I would like the option to try it, and get into it. I won't get to set it up for at least 3-5 more days, so any recommendations are appreciated, as I can still return the unit...Thanks again.

No worries at all, if you know something better, I can still return this one, no worries:)

I figure with the gaming, I can add better speakers later as well, and really get into it, become a full fledged geek! I am actually psyched about the opportunities this new machine may provide.

What are some decent games? I like stuff that shoots and or flys...strategy stuff is cool also.

No ideas...I did have to pay some bullshit environmental disposal fee...see, things pollute less when there is a fee attached.

I'll start setting it up tonight, or tomorrow. Next will be a new larger monitor, and sound system, then some games, then a pocket pal, some misfitting black pants and white shirt and keds with black socks...I will be a full fledged geek in no time!

When I was in college in early '70s. we used punched cards to run Fortran programs.

ca 1969: narrow, yellow "ticker tape" that you'd feed through a reader. Just roll it up into a little coil for storage. We just had a dumb terminal at my high school that linked to a mainframe at a uni several states away. Pure geekdom.

If that thing you bought goes on sale on July 4th, you may be able to get a refund of the cost difference.

Yep, that could happen! will open the box tomorrow and set it up...Next questions, how do I make a recovery disk?

Archived