New computer time...

Old Hippie

It's hard to say. What's the speed of the processors? Speed of the hard-drive? Speed of the ram, type of ram, is the 4gb 2 sticks or 4? Does that come with a monitor? What kind of case? What kind of power supply?

As previously mentioned graphics card.

Though I'd probably say no if it doesn't come with a nice graphics card and monitor.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, The 1 TB unit is gone. New contender is HP (9350?), AMD Processor, Quad, 6gb ram, 750gb HD All the hook ups, a 9800?? graphics card, and should be a good unit, price is $1200 for the tower alone.

So is AMD better than any other Intell etc...

You're doing things the wrong way in my opinion. First: What do you use the computer for?

Second: Find a model to fit your needs.

I'll help as much as I can if you tell me what your needs are--surfing the net and posting a lot is obviously one. :)

Do you play computer games?

I know you're into photography--do you use photoshop or ????

Do you have a video camera and do you produce any movies?

I'm guessing you can get a computer that does all you need and more for a lot less than a thousand bucks.

The main things I use it for are/will be, the occassional odd post or 2 here :) Photography, yes, I occassionally use Photoshop, but not a lot, have CS2 (Pirate copy) and a Legit copy of Elements 4.0.

I also want to do video, and burn disks etc...I would like to use Adobe Premier elements of better for video at some point, and link up to Youtube and other stuff, burn my stuff to dvd etc...

Right now, the Dell I have is painfully slow for photography, can't do video...I understand this machine I referenced can "Multi taks" and maintain a good speed.

Not so much into games, but would like the option.

I've been using an HP Pavilion since xmas.. I'm generally pretty happy with it, but a couple of annoyances:

a, They loaded masses of shit software that I ended up deleting.

b, There were some issues with the wireless card and graphics card, but they seem to have been resolved by reflashing bios and loading new drivers.

Used to deal with Dell at work and saw many pcs arrive with hardware faults requiring return, including one where there was no CPU on the motherboard. Wouldn't bother with them myself.

I have a Dell, and was so annoyed with their customer support a few times, I am off the brand...The model I referenced is from Best Buy, I will check Costco to see if they have a comparable model, my neighbor thinks they do, with a monitor for $1200...

Got to go with the consensus about HP.

With my old Pavilion Laptop (the same model as Cav uses if I remeber correctly) the screen went a bit wonky after about 6 months, took it into HP Service Center in BKK at Lumpini and had it back the same day new screen and no charge, ever since then it has worked a treat and the wife has been using it for the past 6 months.

When I replaced it I got a HP Pavilion dv9500 with Dual Core Intel T7700 CPU, 4GB RAM, NVDIA GeoForce 860DM GS Graphic Card, 2 x 250 GB HDD's and a TS-L802A Optical Drive that is Blue Ray Compatable.

The desktop at home is also HP cannot remember the model number as I rarely touch it, got it about 16 months ago and set it up as a server with 4 TB of RAID Drive hanging off it (what is file sharing illegal?) It has been running 24/7/365 without a hitch since I set it up and I access it from numerous remote locations via CITRIX.

Workwise an average control system I Engineer consists of about 25 PC's and only HP and Dell meet the specifications for Industrial Control Systems, on average 4 systems a year so that is 300 PC's in the past 3 years and I have only had 4 failures and they were all DELL, damn even the HP's I set up 10 years ago (in the bad old days as a field engineer) are still running fine.

Archived