New computer time...

Old Hippie

BlueRay is just a higher capacity DVD format ... more MB per disc. In practical terms, this won't matter to you unless you want to play BlueRay movies on your PC, or you are archiving massive amounts of data.

Perhaps someday the DVD format will go the way of the 1.44 floppy drive. But not anytime soon.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MB try GB, a Dual Layer Blue-Ray disk can store 50GB of data whereas a conventional Dual layer DVD can store approx 9 GB.

It gets its name from the optical read / write head, it uses Blue Laser with a wavelength of 405 nm whereas conventional DVD uses Red Light with a wavelength of 650nm.

I still remember the 8" DSDD 1.2MB Floppy

I don't think that computer matches your needs very well. It's built for gaming and has a lot of top of the line stuff where you don't need it--it probably will perform the same for you as a computer half the price.

Graphics cards are for gaming--if you don't do any gaming, you don't need a high powered card. Even though it's a video card, it's really for 3D stuff that it's necessary, something you aren't doing--you never once mention gaming.

In terms of upgradability, it only has one extra drive bay. My no-name computer has 4. In my experience the brand name computers skimp on important things that most people don't think about, like the power supply. They give you all the heavy-hitting stuff that sounds good and attracts buyers, but don't really do a good job on the non-sexy stuff.

If you haven't bought it yet, I'll start looking around for an example of something I'd go for in your situation.

And they really were floppy as well the outer case was really thin plastic ... the days of using 4 8" DSDD 1.2MB Floppies to boot up a workstation are dim and distant memories now. Jeez I have 13,333 times more memory on my iPhone nowadays.

I don't "remember" my 8" floppy looking anything like that......

...Then again...I've had this gut for a few years now....and haven't "seen" it for a while....lol

..Hmmmm....maybe mine was an 8cm "floppy"....can't quite remember.....

Cheers DC

Then again...I've had this gut for a few years now....and haven't "seen" it for a while....lol

Hahaha...haven't heard that one for a while. First time I heard it was when my feisty South African bitch of a golf teacher confronted some guy in the bar at a public golf course after his round, saying something to the effect of, "use the restrooms next time, you know we really don't appreciate seeing your penis out there."

To which he obviously replied, "How'd it look? Haven't seen it in a few years myself."

I bought that guy a drink.

Archived