American, Thai woman arrested with 'ice', ecstasy pills in posses

elef

CTO & Bibblies...it's quite possible that Drag On was referring to innocent people who literally get gunned down when drug dealers start opening fire. Or the innocent children of druggies who are supplied by the dealers. Just a different take.

HH

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HH - I agree but he could also have been referring to innocent bar girls who have been foiled into taking ice - or some other mythology.

I love these threads about reporting one illegal activity (Drugs/Smoking) and proclaiming it as a moral victory while allowing another illegal (Cheap prostitution) to flourish.

Hypocritical I think.

He didn't realise it was on the list of banned occupations for foreigners. A local rival must have resented the competition.

I suspect this was the real problem. Putting aside any particular poster's views on drugs and drug dealing, this sounds like small potatoes to me. This is not even going to cause a ripple in Thailand's drug trade.

The American may have been sacraficial lamb to the DEA (perhaps an I-Day birthday gift?), which are quite active in Thailand. At least one-third of the US Consulate's staff in Chiang Mai are DEA.

Before any of us get too self-righteous about drugs, bear in mind that coffee and chocolate are drugs (which means I took some drugs this morning when I went to Starbucks) and alcohol and tobacco are serious drugs that can and do cause serious damage and death every year here and elsewhere. For a serious discussion of drugs, I suggest those equipped with iPods go to the UC Berkeley part of of the iTunes store and download Prof. David Presti's lectures in Psychology 119. Fascinating stuff. I listened to the entire course over the last several months while working out in the gym. I don't think anyone can listen to his lectures - which cover everything from the chemistry, neuroscience, psychology, and culutural practices with drugs - and not come away without realizing it is a very complicated subject.

It is also fascinating. For example, shamans in the Amazon will put themselves themselves into altered states take tobacco enemas. Don' try this at home. This is apparantly the most dangerous way to ingest a drug (I am relying on the lectures rather than actual experimentation since I don't intend to ever test this on myself).

Drugs and ritualistic practices associated with drugs have been around as long as man has. Now add to that complicated mix the pervasive corruption of drug enforcement in Thailand, and I suggest being extra careful before claiming that this American or anyone else deserves a jail cell in a drug case.

Tobacco enema? I have tried coffee enemas but never tobacco. Do you smoke it up your ass or do you make it into a tea? If you smoke it, I could see it being dangerous especially when you let off a beer fart.

If you have an iPod, check out David Presti's lectures in the UC Berkeley part of the iTunes store (I think you got to iUniversity first) - he also covers coffee, the chemistry, culture, history and even different ways of injesting coffee, including I believe coffee enemas.

As for the tobacco enema, the manner of administration is, well, a bit amazing. But you are going to have to listen to the lectures to find out why.

Archived