American, Thai woman arrested with 'ice', ecstasy pills in posses

elef

Capitalism and democracy will tend to reinforce each other because they're both about choice. It's hard to think of a country where you find one without the other for long.

Hmmm. That's really a pretty naive statement.

Singapore.

China.

Vietnam.

And that's not even putting any thought into it.

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I knew someone would say those.

That's why I said "for long".

As each of these countries has given up control of their economies, haven't you noticed their people becoming freer?

Before this, would so many Chinese really be permitted to travel outside the country as normal tourists?

Can you really compare the practical freedoms the people of Singapore have compared to those in Cuba, for instance?

And Vietnam, the most recent reluctant convert to capitalism, is opening up.

You start getting choice in one area, it's hard to keep a lid on another...

(Btw, I originally reacted because of the "naive" moniker. It's one of the lazy argumentative devices I hate. People think they can chuck this one in and appear to be oh-so-wise because the other person is, apparently... naive. :)

The other thing I hate is the idiotic: "I'm sorry but...". Why the hell do those people put "I'm sorry" in there? They mean anything but sorry! It sounds stupid and patronising. They should have the honesty and conciseness to say "Fuck off, I think you're wrong" instead of the "I'm sorry" bit because that's what they really mean. :) )

bibblies, please define "freer". I guess I missed out on the part about people being free. Bush always talks of freedom and democracy. Total crap. It is managed democracy, which in turn means someone is running the show.

Furthermore, it is very easy to control public opinion. The republican machine were very good at it. Counter arguments and information hinder this control, but people are very easy to control for periods of time (well, a majority are, enough to be elected). The old adage, slightly altered for contemporary use, you can't fool all of the people all of the time, but you can fool enough of the people, enough of the time.

People respond well to inference, implication, cognitive dissonance, fears, suggestion etc. Skilled and somewhat dubious politicians know this. Manipulation of the populace is rife. Governments and corporations do it constantly. Psychology has come a long way since Freud. It is simply a case of how adept the manipulator is. Thankfully most aren't that good.

Back on topic.

I'm all for total legalisation and control of all drugs. Mostly due to the reduction in criminal activity that would surely result.

Sure, there'd be some who can't control their habit, but there is now, so that isn't an argument. Sure, there'd be some illegal production, but there is now, so that point is moot also.

bibblies, please define "freer". I guess I missed out on the part about people being free. Bush always talks of freedom and democracy. Total crap. It is managed democracy, which in turn means someone is running the show.

Furthermore, it is very easy to control public opinion. The republican machine were very good at it. ...

:sleeping:

You need to get laid. :)

Mmmm... just back from Lolita's... I'd recommend it. :thumbup:

Or is that establishment part of some government plot to 'control' me? :)

Archived