Why are the Thai auto drivers so bad?

cavanami

I posted a question to Mrs. Stickman and they made a reply this Sunday, in the "Ask Mrs. Stick" section.

http://www.stickmanweekly.com/StickMarkII/TheFutureOfTourismInPattaya.htm

I was hoping for a more realistic answer, not a Thai answer of "if I say it doesn't happen here, then it doesn't happen here".

So let me get some data from the gang here...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it's a crap answer. What did you expect? Her answers are constantly crap. Did you see the one recently where a guy's wife had pulled a knife on him because he wanted to know what she was doing sneaking around with male 'friends'? And her answer? :doah:

Like with their pedestrian sense, Thais seem to have little consideration when motoring. Running red lights, stopping half-across them, never stopping to let pedestrians across, weaving over all lanes. Combine that with a carefree attitude towards drinking and driving and I can't pretend that my home country's anywhere near as bad as that. It's in their attitude. It makes Thailand a fun place but let's not pretend here!

...Thais seem to have little consideration when motoring. Running red lights, stopping half-across them, never stopping to let pedestrians across, weaving over all lanes. Combine that with a carefree attitude towards drinking and driving and I can't pretend that my home country's anywhere near as bad as that...

Hmmm, you've never driven in Las Vegas or Boston, have you...

Cheers,

SD

I wish I could answer your question, but this antiquated "auto" rickshaw is certainly under on horsepower. Maybe because the motive power is a water buffalo, driven unconvincingly by a reeking man with a stick.

I won't argue with you, no matter how hard you try, to try to establish a yardstick with which to measure the power a beast of burden might provide. I'll simply say that it wouldn't of been called a horse power if all other things were considered. At least that was this man's *gist*, when he dropped me off. I gave him exactly 12 satang, which I felt was the right fee for upkeep of the beast and the animal. I even tipped him 1 satang because my mood was very elevated - how such foolishness followed!!!

I tripped down the street, embarrassed by both harlot and harridan, until I got myself a really good f....

I must say that as a driver with his license revoked back home because of ongoing misunderstanding with local regulations, after having driven a car in LOS, swerving both right and left while taking over and speeding, burning red lights and hardly avoiding to crash a few motorcyclists without even beeing beeped at, than later just handing out some cash when caught by the police on a forbidden lane without license, thai driving customs earned my upmost respect.

Guest lazyphil

as thais drive on the left i find easy driving in los and by and large find thais reasonably ok drivers. i do however find it concerning the attitude to safety of some vehicles. i've seen numerous lorrys with bald tyres thus will have zero stopping power in heavy rain often seen in los, plus do drivers have tacko meters?....i hear reports of hgv drivers using yaba and or m16 drink or whatever its called, is this safe. do they have a MOT test like here?....my car due wedensay, very strict, faulty anything it fails, yes a money making scam but keeps junkers off the roads. songkran isn't safe on thai roads.

I think safer here than any places I've been too - far less annoying than greece italy etc.

They do sensible things like allowing people to make radical u turns.

It's pretty good driving here - as Drgon said - try afrcia

Guest lazyphil

i drove part of the garden route in south africa. very restful driving there. rural usa is easy going....arizona desert areas my favorite.

Never personally experienced examples of bad driving in LOS...maybe people are wary of bad driving/getting involved in accidents because it would involve the MIB and all the hassle/tea money that might have to be paid....mind you I did witness a Thai woman trying to reverse into a parking spot on the roadside in Jomtien.The spot was large enough to park a stretched limo but after repeated attempts she had to change places with the male passengr and let him do it....Also there is no Thai equivalent of the UK MOT...AFAIK...

Archived