Why are the Thai auto drivers so bad?

cavanami

Hi,

"farangs being drunk"

I would imagine that the percentage of drunk Thai drivers dwarves the percentage of drunk farang drivers.

"the Thai driver doesn't panic"

She may have a point here though. They pretty much expect other road users to do utterly moronic stuff. So, it doesn't come as a surprise when they do, hence no panic.

Of course the flip-side of this is that they also don't see a problem with just cutting in front of fast moving traffic.

"but the worst thing that they allow are u-turns from a right turn lane"

Completely agree. These must be responsible for a very large number of accidents/deaths.

BTW, ever notice that in the West traffic seems to gravitate towards to 'slow lane', while here the majority of traffic drives in the 'fast lane' even when the 'slow lane' is empty.

Sanuk!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say pretty average.. Though not the same. In my country of birth for sure you would see less of the completely boneheaded moves you get to witness here, however some of that is made up by an overall more courteous and less aggressive driving style.

In my home country I would never get away with the stuff I get to pull here.

Depends where in Africa...

I have nothing to say against SA but the countries where I lived that was another matter.

As much as I never had a car crash in Thailand

(had a motorbike accident but not due to a Thai driver, the cause was a baby crossing the road)

I must say that I came close to having an accident quite a few times here...

One need only visit Hanoi or Ho CHi Minh to find the true death race 2000.

The Roads in and around Bangkok are bad, but nothing compared to what happens on the Kharokoram or throughout India and Vietnam.

At least they are concerned about what is in front KS.

And ..the push bikes ..zillions of them coming at you .....

I don't mind the thai drivers compared with thai pedestrians.

It seems, and Sukhumvit is so typical, that if you walk on the right side or the left side of the footpath and there is a straight line for both pedestrians to walk a straight line ahead a stupid thai will cut right across in front of you for no apparent reason - it is not as if they think you have to keep to the left or the right.

Mind you, seems if you're a fat farang, in particular middle eastern, they just plough right down the middle and usually just stop for no rhyme or reason.

Nevertheless, I get so frustrated along Sukhumvit footpaths I just walk down the bloody road, KS is correct, if you're in front of them they always seem to miss (I don't walk alonf the road at night by reason of too many Mekong drinkers).

Archived