Why are the Thai auto drivers so bad?

cavanami

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are there motorcycle that can be ridden over there without a drivers license (under a certain cc limit?)

In the USA? Depends on the state. If you are driving off road, the law is different, on the road, you need a license, regardless of engine size. A big debate here in SFO now about those annoying motorize scooter things (looks like a skate board with a steering handle) and little mini bikes or "pocket bikes" kids and now adults are using to get around. Currently no license for those.

If I ever have the cash, I'll get another Harley.

Thais seem to have little consideration when motoring. Running red lights, stopping half-across them, never stopping to let pedestrians across, weaving over all lanes. Combine that with a carefree attitude towards drinking and driving and I can't pretend that my home country's anywhere near as bad as that. It's in their attitude. It makes Thailand a fun place but let's not pretend here!

And all of this just on the sidewalk (footpath)! You will see things here that you would never see in the US. For example:

- Motorcycles zipping down sidewalks right in front of cops and honking at pedistrians to get out of their way. Imagine if you pulled a stunt like that in California in front of a cop.

- Last month I saw a guy in a 7 series BMW (read: VIP) on Sukhumvit (around Soi 49) drive his car up on to the sidewalk because traffic was stopped. He pulled off the sidewalk and forced his way back onto Sukhumvit after forcing the pedestrians in his path to run out of his way. All he accomplished was getting two cars in front of where he had been since traffic was still stopped when he forced his way back onto Sukhumvit. And all of this occurred in front of a MIB who pretended real hard he hadn't see any of this.

- Motorcycle taxis blasting down the streets at speeds that are dangerously fast. And then sometimes, not surprisingly, a mangled motorcycle, a big puddle of red blood and a corpse or two not far from it. I don't typically see that in the US; it's not at all unusual here.

The first generation of drivers is a good partial explanation, but I think there are other factors. For example, the sporadic and 'for profit' method of traffic enforcement adds to the problem. Getting pulled over by the MiB has less to do with committing a traffic infractions than it had to do with the MiB's need for money. I suspect culture also plays a role.

I found that the practices of the BiB (or MiB) have changed here in BKK since the coup.

Since the coup, I have been pulled over when riding the motorsai weekly, but *** never *** have been asked or even hinted to provide "tea money".

Last week, I took a scooter for a test drive from a shop on Rama 4 and there was a large group of BiB pulling over cars and scooters, checking license, etc. I was driving down the footpath, as 50m down from the shop was a ramp to get on to Rama 4. Doing so I went right by one of the BiB and he stopped me to inform me I was riding on the footpath...OK, I explained that I was just test driving this scooter from the local shop, OK, on my way, no problem.

So it appears that the BiB can issue a ticket for driving on the footpath? :dunno:

After I completed my test drive (12K baht, but a used an abused scooter, wasn't interested) I putt-puut away on my scooter and sure enough, the BiB up a ways on Rama 4 stop me, check my license and all was OK, so on my way! no mention of tea money.

I say, good on them!!!!

......At least, in his opinion, in Thailand the drivers just do not pay attention to motocycles but they do not deliberately try to remove you out of the road.

I don't quite agree with your friends opinion. I ride a bike. I've seen much of Thailand as well as Laos and Cambodia. I've found that 'size matters', in that some locals feel that larger vehicle the more rights they have to the road.

On two-lane roads, I've had to 'bail out' and onto the dirt siding many times, as a driver coming from the opposite direction decides to pass the cars in front of him, using my lane. I flash my lights, he flashes his...and just keeps on coming. My choices are to be a permanent hood ornament or dive off the side of the road.

This situation is worse in Cambodia than Thailand, yet both have their lunatics; and it seemed much less problematic in Laos.

Is there any data that supports driving a cycle correlates to better car driving?

Yes, probably most Thai drivers were raised on a motorccyle before advancing to a car...

Yes, they will have a better handle on what to expect from thai motorcycle drivers.

But we are talking a small population here. I would guess 80% of motorcyle drivers never advance to driving a car.

I believe over 85% of fatalities are motorcycle drivers; And we all know how well they have been trained in the rules of the road and how compliant they are in following them. They operate in their own little world out there but do pay the price on the road for their poor judgment, attitude and behavior.

The bottom line is their driving behavior and total lack of respect for road regulations (as they are clueless as to what it takes to drive a car) causes severe headaches and represent one of the main hazards for car drivers.

Cars exist to keep both the dog population and motorcycle population in check.

CB

Thailand has the laws on the books to have a safe and proper traffic flow, however...

1. the BiB selectively enforce the laws.

2. nil in the way of public education to make better drivers.

3. BKK has an automatic traffic system, but the Bib are out there daily with the radios trying to control the traffic. When the BiB let the system work in auto, one can see the lights counting down and has a chance to regulate oneself to traffic (like in Germany, where they have the :Green Wave").

4. When the traffic laws are blatantly broke with the BiB merely watching, nothing will change, except the bad drivers become more bold and continue their pattern of driving stupid! IMO!!!

I say, get the police out of their air con corner boxes and let them pull over and issue tickets to the drivers breaking the laws, already on the books...cars, scooters, bus trucks, etc!

Archived