You need LOS

Steve

As some of the other posters have mentioned, its definitely not a good idea to tell work colleagues where you are going.

The reactions depend on the culture and ethos of the company but range from good humoured "you love me long time" "ten dollar fucky fucky" to people speculating that you've flown off to exploit indentured teenage hookers.

In my previous place of work the fact that I like LOS became my entire work place persona, it did me no good at all.

Being relatively young and wanting some semblance of a career I now tell people I am off diving off Malaysia, or that I am going to Singapore them Bali.

Its not nice to lie, but unless you are already of independent means it can compromise your earning potential, especially given that most HR departments are full of ball breaking femanist jobsworths! mad.gif" border="0mad.gif" border="0mad.gif" border="0

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"ten dollar fucky fucky"

I heard the exact same line from someone at a party ( in reference to my going to thailand)

My only comeback was, "Its gone up since you were there last."

Seemed to shut him up pretty fast. ( and later I could see his wife interrogating him)

Originally quoted by Pattaya127:

quote:

I certainly do remember you, you had a black T-shirt, no? Did not stay long. I most likely will be there in January as my trip starts DEc 1st. Thanks for the G/F compliment. A friend saw her last night at Tony' s and said she looked great. Except that, hum, er..., we just broke up. I think so, at least....LOL

Pattaya127,

You have a good memory, that wasn't just any black t-shirt however, that was an official Eden Club polo shirt (complete with the little devil and pitchfork logo in upper left-hand corner).

Sorry to hear about your possible breakup with Thai girlfriend, Mai bpenrai... Hopefully things will work out one way or another while you're there. cool.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by pasathai:

I think for a lot of guys, by the time they can afford to travel ( got a good job, income, free time) are already "married with kids"

and saying "honey, I'm going to thailand for a few weeks" would not go over too well.

best to do it b4 you are tied down.

Hell YES and Hell NO!

Myself and a few friends are married with farang wives, kids, houses, cats, dogs, cars, boats and all the stuff.

Our wives know the deal: 2 trips to LOS/year or divorce. (one guy manged a deal of 3 trips of 3 weeks max)

Some of us (not all can go this far) have a weekly friday evening thai restaurant and drinking party under the same conditions.

We are considering and discussing how we could arrange retirement in LOS (pretty imminent for two of us) Some have already rented condo's and mia nois. It's a difficult balance to find....

quote:

Originally posted by pattaya127:

Thanks, NN. I was afraid my own comments would be badly interpreted but you confirm i was not dreaming when I heard the same comments as you did. I know it really bugs thais or malaysians when they are being thought of being so backwards as "living in the jungle".

I definately wouldn't blame them for being offended! I hate to say this being an American, but there are a lot of us who really have no clue about the other cultures in the world and have never left the country! I have actually met people who are scared to travel to foreign countries because they were afraid that they would not be let back in!! (And this was before the current terrorist business..)

Someone mentioned that only 15% of Americans have a passport, I'm surprised it's that high!

While I love my country, I would not be so stupid to say that it has the BEST of everything! (I think you would be surprised at the number of Americans who believe this!)

Anyhow... I'll shut up now! smile.gif" border="0

-=/NN

This for real? Eden Club has polo shirts??

Must get one of those.....Just hope that no-one I know does a search on the Internet for "Eden Club" and "Bangkok" when I get back! shocked.gif" border="0

-=/NN

quote:

Originally posted by BrownFox:

Originally quoted by Pattaya127:

[sNIP]

official
Eden Club
polo shirt (complete with the little devil and pitchfork logo in upper left-hand corner).

Archived