You need LOS

Steve

My friend, a former BKK resident and veteran of many years and visits to LOS worked on me for close to two years before I stopped fantasizing about visiting, and actually went. What helped was he was coming over on business, and I saw a golden opportunity to tag along and get the benefit of his experience, fluency in the native tongue and cultural competence. I couldnt believe I had waited so long to go. The only problem is I was spoiled and haven't found anything close to the LOS experience in USA.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"So now he is trying to get her back to OZ, after knowing her 4 weeks, after I amd my girl caught her out many times in her stories, she is still married but he just will not listen to anything."

And this is exactly why Stickman warns about losing the plot.

Some guys are too unstable emotionally that they can very easily flip, and do stupid stuff like this.

Sanuk!

When people ask me about trips to LOS, there are a couple of responses I usually give.

If they ask in passing, just tell them I went to the beach, how good the beaches are, how cheap it is, how good the food is. Also, tell them how good the entertainment venues are ie live music, good atmosphere, good opportunity to meet people from around the world.

Thailand is a favourite destination for families and backpackers in Australia, I guess our vicinity makes it particularly easy in this regard. Also, I'm 25 and don't exactly fit the profile, but you can see it in their eyes. Just have a look at KSR - these people have no contact with the scene, and so there is no need for them to lie to friends and colleagues. I suppose its a bit different if you're going eight times in five years

Closer friends/fellow employees have made jokes about whether I'm going to go for 'a rub and tug' or a 'love you long time place' and I usually just go along with it and say 'you never know' or 'I'll try to keep an open mind' or 'we'll see what happens' I've found that a denial or being defensive only serves to confirm their suspicions.

If people are trying to extract further information, by asking where exactly I went, then I ask them "Oh, you've been, have you?" This approach puts them on the defensive because it indicates that (i) Thailand is a place for everyone, including them; and (ii) what is the point of the conversation if you don't know what I'm talking about.

I've found being open about it, and talking it up, is the best way to divert suspicions. That way people know that you've got nothing to hide.

Other responses to questions include:

- what a fascinating culture it is

- how easy it is to get scammed

- how smelly bangkok is

- tell them about hanging out with Isreali's / Swedes etc on the islands

- tell them how big and good the tourist industry is

- and one of my favourites is to tell them how Thai culture is so closed, and that Thais aren't receptive to foreigners, and as a result its very hard to meet the locals, particularly as they don't speak English. Any mention of 'Thai friends' automatically insuates contact with the 'profession'

But basically, I refuse to let other's opinions, particularly such ill-formed ones, dictate my life or influence my decisions whatsoever.

G

“Dundee,

Do you really think I am kidding? Deadly serious we are. This is Europe, is there such a difference in mentallity with Australia (ref your handle?) or the USA”

Thalenoi

Well I do leave it up to the individual, but you have given me now a “bad” feeling that I’ am “a piece of old fashioned shit”. BTW I’m a 35yr old Dutch and if this is the way it goes in Europe nowadays, than hell for sure I’m too long away.

I was never married with a farang woman nor I did have long relationships with farang women either but with my Thai wife for 10yrs now, things like mia noi are out of the picture and I’m simply not interested in this. My wife does sometimes bring topics up such as mia noi, but I do always reply that I would have never married if I would prefer this life style.

Cheers

Any male who has not experienced some time in Bangkok or Phuket hasent lived. I have been married 10 years and just got there last summer. I am hooked. I am trying to find a way to return without the obvious reason.

Archived