Schwarzenegger Blasts Bush on Global Warming

Flashermac

In 5 years we went from no idea how to do it and built an atomic weapon during WW 2. We went from not being able to get a satelite higher than the Russians to putting men on the moon in 10 years time. Stealth planes are almost 30 year old technology. Look at the basic phone. 30 years ago and now. You can call on a cell phone to Thailand any time of day no matter where you are. The internet and all the fantastic breakthroughs in general. These things happened because of money and a will to do it. I find it hard to believe we can do every thing else BUT get a cleaner, proficient engine that doesn't run entirely on oil. I may sound pollyana but we just lack the will and what people think a need in the past but the oil prices may change that.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
*PS: While Germany, France, Japan and China put billions into developing new generations of bullet trains and to make public transport more and more efficient AMTRAK is fighting for survival. Everybody who ever traveled in a German ICE to Berlin or a French TGV to Paris and then took the train from N.Y. to Washington knows what I am talking about... Most European leaders would be embarrassed to have such a shoddy connection to the capital.

I makes no sense to use passenger trains as the measure for comparing transportation systems between the US and Europe. Get out a map. We are solving two very different problems. It is foolish to assume that the same tool will apply equally well in both applications.

I doubt you'd get many people to give up their cars and take the train. The big need is in urban rail lines. I'm old enough to remember them. Every major US city had rail lines, but the Detroit auto industry bought and closed them down. Then they sold the cities buses!

:(

Guest lazyphil

http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/transport/guided/

here they're trying to get people off the hell hole A14 (it became so when the A14 was linked to the M1, now a direct route from felixstowe port to the M1...the A14 is now one of the uk's most congested roads, its HORRIBLE).....most of the traffic causing gridlock is HGV's and i cant see them using a guided bus way!.....time will tell if this multi multi million pound venture will work. it was an old railway line that closed long ago, in fact i remember me and my mates 25 years ago walking all the way to st ives and back. i hope it works out.

The USA once had a lot of buffalo and carrier pigeons. Times change.

So why do countries like China invest billions in high speed railway?

This isn't a small country neither.

Also you did not answer why the US isn't even able to invest in short distance, but high profile, lines like Washington-N.Y.?

In 5 years we went from no idea how to do it and built an atomic weapon during WW 2. We went from not being able to get a satelite higher than the Russians to putting men on the moon in 10 years time. Stealth planes are almost 30 year old technology. Look at the basic phone. 30 years ago and now. You can call on a cell phone to Thailand any time of day no matter where you are. The internet and all the fantastic breakthroughs in general. These things happened because of money and a will to do it. I find it hard to believe we can do every thing else BUT get a cleaner, proficient engine that doesn't run entirely on oil. I may sound pollyana but we just lack the will and what people think a need in the past but the oil prices may change that.

And recently there was a long report in the N.Y. Times that New York does not have enough money to repair its subway stations.

My impression is:

The US is investing Billions in its military and in wars which are usually are being lost or end in a weak truce (except Grenada :smirk:). At the same time its infrastructure (levees, bridges, public transport, schools, health care, e.g.) is being neglected.

Also US economy is fed by loans from China and other countries.. Currently it has 9.5 trillion USD in debts, while China has a plus of 1.6 trillion.

China is the second biggest lender (502 billion USD, after Japan with 592.2) and it could crash the US economy by asking the money back or selling its reserves in USD.

Also while the US is wasting its manpower, its money and its energy in Iraq China is literally buying (through infrastructure projects, e.g.) the countries in Africa which have the raw materials our industries need.

At the same time foreign investors are buying the most prominent skyscrapers in N.Y. - while US banks are going belly up.

I am sorry, but In the current political climate and the corruption to the highest levels in Washington I don't see who and how a turnaround could be achieved.

Guest lazyphil

i want high speed mobile execution/organ harvesting facilities. so far the chinese only have low speed versions. high speed is the way forward.

The infrastructure has been neglected to the point its criminal by local, state and federal governments.

There are hundreds of bridges, highways, etc. in total disrepair and are disasters waiting to happen.

Some cities do want it fixed but simply don't have the money. It would take federal and/or state help.

Archived