Schwarzenegger Blasts Bush on Global Warming

Flashermac

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not coincidence! Those pinko, commie leftist made it happen!

Don't you find it strange that big businesses that have unions [workers for the devil, I mean pure communism), such as the automotive industries and airline companies, are not reaping what they have sowed (bankruptcy)?

Yeah, of course. Those workers have robbed the big companies and they forced GM, Ford e.g. to produce complete outdated cars instead of putting money into research for new cars. :content:

I mean, just have look at Mercedes, Porsche or BMW. The have real strong unions and now look at the cars they produce... :hmmm::)

I doubt you'd get many people to give up their cars and take the train. The big need is in urban rail lines. I'm old enough to remember them. Every major US city had rail lines, but the Detroit auto industry bought and closed them down. Then they sold the cities buses!

:(

Kottke.org has today an interesting link to an AMTRAK story:

Train in Vain

The American passenger railâ??once a model around the globeâ??is now something of an oddball novelty, a political boondoggle to some, a colossal transit failure to others. The author James Howard Kunstler likes to say that [color:red]American trains â??would be the laughing stock of Bulgaria.[/color]â? The numbers show just how far this once-great system has fallen. In 1960, U.S. rail travelers logged 17.1 billion passenger miles (the movement of one passenger one mile), the standard measure of a systemâ??s reach; by 2000, that number had fallen to 5.5 billion, just one percent of the total travel between U.S. cities that year. (Of course, over this same period, airlinesâ?? passenger miles increased 16 times; even intercity busesâ?? service nearly doubled.) Most of this decrease was seen in the 1960s, as highways and air travel took precedent both in travel plans and in government subsidies.

I think you hit it on the nail this time - government subsidies.

We could have nice rail systems in the USA but the bureaucrats say we can not afford it. But we can afford to fight wars, provide health care to Iraqis, build the infrastructure in Iraq but not the USA. Sounds like the bureaucrats have their hands in the back pockets of too many people.

As I understand it, US railways still have to pay a tax slapped on passenger travel during WWII to discourage people from going anywhere. I do know that not so many years ago rail travel cost more than air, which is ridiculous.

People have been driven away from the trains. Even if the lines were put back into passenger service, not that many people would start using them again. It used to be second nature to go by rail. Not any more.

In California Amtrak routinely has delays because it shares the rail with freight and its the freight trains that have precedence.

Amtrak is also a huge money loser that is propped up by the government.

Its a well known story that Los Angeles' trolley and light rail system was sold out to the car companies who closed it soon after. The city government sold out the city but the trend nationally was highways not train.

• 2 weeks later...
I find it hard to believe we can do every thing else BUT get a cleaner, proficient engine that doesn't run entirely on oil.

I believe that it already exists. Internal combustion engines that run on 100% ethanol. Alcool I think they call it in Brasil. Eighty-five percent of the cars sold there have flex-fuel engines that can run on either alcool or gasoline. (whichever is cheaper at the time).

Brazil ready to raise WTO protest against U.S. ethanol tariffs

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

By BRADLEY S. KLAPPER

The Associated Press

GENEVA - Brazil is likely to ask the World Trade Organization to open a blockbuster case into U.S. ethanol tariffs, a senior official said Wednesday, outlining the first possible dispute to arise as a result of this week's global trade talks collapse.

Roberto Azevedo, Brazil's WTO ambassador, said there was a "strong possibility" that the Latin American country would make a formal complaint in September. Brazil would then be able to ask for the establishment of a WTO panel if a two-month consultation period with the United States fails to produce an agreement.

The case would concern a U.S. ethanol tariff of 54 cents per gallon, which critics say is designed to protect American corn farmers who cannot produce the fuel as cheaply as sugarcane growers in Brazil.

The U.S. considers ethanol the only U.S. product outside the scope of WTO rules, but Brazil would challenge this designation so that tariff cuts on the fuel would have to be a part of any future global trade pact.

...Brazil would make billions of dollars (euros) from lower taxes on ethanol imports, but has struggled getting its fuel accepted as a cheap, eco-friendly alternative to fossil fuels.

Link

Archived