Schwarzenegger Blasts Bush on Global Warming

Flashermac

If you look at the stock market in the late 1800s rail stocks dominated the NYSE. The west went from horse to steam engine to rail to car to plane. It was a natural progression due to innovations in technology and transportation.

The same transition can be made with a new way of propelling cars and trains. Anywhere to 10-20 percent of the nation was directly or indirectly tied to rail jobs in the 1800s. Where did all those jobs go? They transformed into the new technologies. Auto companies hired millions. Boeing and the others hired hundreds of thousands. Plus all the related industries to make those parts that goes into it.

Revolutionizing the car via hybrids or whatever will do the same.

A high speed line between major metropolitan centers works better than planes. A japanese style high speed bullet rail linking Boston to NYC to Philadelphia to Washington DC would get far more people economically than flying. Same with San Diego to Los Angeles to San Francisco. Chicago, Detroit, etc. Also think of the millions of jobs directly and indirectly in building such a system?

The only issue is no collective will. We had a collective will to link both coasts by rail. It was a major accomplishment. Why can't something similar be done again? Look at the Alaska pipeline. We collecctively thought it was needed and it got done. There are so many examples of projects that are deemed engineering wonders (Hoover Dam, Golden Gate Bridge, Brookyn Bridge, etc.) because we had a will to do it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only issue is no collective will. We had a collective will to link both coasts by rail. It was a major accomplishment. Why can't something similar be done again? Look at the Alaska pipeline. We collectively thought it was needed and it got done. There are so many examples of projects that are deemed engineering wonders (Hoover Dam, Golden Gate Bridge, Brooklyn Bridge, etc.) because we had a will to do it.

That's is IMHO the central question.

The problem:

- the political class is corrupt

The current government is probably the most manipulative and corrupt in recent US history. The opposition is extremely weak and probably not less corrupt.

- the free independent media are weak, news are being manipulated by the government and lobby groups and media manipulate news actively (Fox News, talk radio, e.g.)

- major companies are manipulating legislation and suppress new developments

- billions of USD are wasted (KBR and co.)

- free scientific research is being suppressed (see NASA)

- religious fundamentalism is intruding science and distorting knowledge (even Bush believes in Creationism, that's unbelievable)

Did I forgot something?

Anyway, for a radical change you need to change central institutions of US and that won't be case in the near future IMHO - unless the pressure is forcing the US society (exploding oil prices, climate catastrophes like in Australia, a severe crash of the economy, e.g.) to do so.

...we had a will to do it.

That's the *main* problem I see with America nowadays: there is no WE anymore, just ME. You see it all the time, everyday, in eveything.

Thank you baby boomers :banghead: .

Regards,

SD -- at least I sure notice it while I am visiting here...

It would be nice if the USA could come up with some new modes of transportation but I am afraid our great leaders are more concerned with interfering with other governments at the expense of our own government.

With this coming election, I am afraid it is a lot of the same, but Obama seems to be less of a puppet of the system.

I wish they would start discussing issues instead of doing a PC waltz.

I find it hard to believe we can do every thing else BUT get a cleaner, proficient engine that doesn't run entirely on oil.

I believe that it already exists. Internal combustion engines that run on 100% ethanol. Alcool I think they call it in Brasil. Eighty-five percent of the cars sold there have flex-fuel engines that can run on either alcool or gasoline. (whichever is cheaper at the time).

Archived