Vitamin E - I have stopped taking this . . .

unit731

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The leg cramps are from low potassium intake. Try eating a couple of large bananas a few hours before bedtime. But it's not a vitamin, but a mineral deficiency. The good thing about the better daily vitamin tablets (I take Centrum) is they include a lot of necessary trace minerals many do not get in their unbalanced diets.

Cent

Some quack told me it was a zinc and magnesium deficiency, common in people who drink a lot, they flush it out of their system.

I'm on Centrum on the moment, they were on special down the local drug wholesaler but I've found all the good quality ones are same same for my problem.

Phil,

Hell man, with all the fish you eat you probably have no need for the cod liver pills. :) Whereas I don't eat a lot of fish, so I do supplement with 2 1200mg natural fish oil capsules a day.

Cent

Cent, LP is a coarse fisherman, meaning that everything he catches is full of bones and virtually inedible, except in France. :)

Guest lazyphil

mm is right. i do eat the odd winter pike or zander aka walleye. i do however eat a can of sardines, mackeral or tuna every day though. sometimes fresh fish like sea bass, tinned is cheaper and not bad.

The leg cramps are from low potassium intake. Try eating a couple of large bananas a few hours before bedtime. But it's not a vitamin' date=' but a mineral deficiency. The good thing about the better daily vitamin tablets (I take Centrum) is they include a lot of necessary trace minerals many do not get in their unbalanced diets.

Cent[/quote']

55555555. Well, the quack was right. Drinking heavily can seriously deplete your zinc and magnesium. There's a good amount of Zinc in the Centrums. I do though have a supply of magnesium/zinc/calcium tablets, a combined tablet with all three, for those nights where it may be advisable to down one before bed with a large glass of water to head off those nasty headaches in the morning. :)

Cent

Some quack told me it was a zinc and magnesium deficiency, common in people who drink a lot, they flush it out of their system.

I'm on Centrum on the moment, they were on special down the local drug wholesaler but I've found all the good quality ones are same same for my problem.

The leg cramps are from low potassium intake. Try eating a couple of large bananas a few hours before bedtime. But it's not a vitamin' date=' but a mineral deficiency. The good thing about the better daily vitamin tablets (I take Centrum) is they include a lot of necessary trace minerals many do not get in their unbalanced diets.

Cent[/quote']

55555555. Well, the quack was right. Drinking heavily can seriously deplete your zinc and magnesium. There's a good amount of Zinc in the Centrums. I do though have a supply of magnesium/zinc/calcium tablets, a combined tablet with all three, for those nights where it may be advisable to down one before bed with a large glass of water to head off those nasty headaches in the morning. :)

Cent

Well, here's a little info on this and some natural food remedies, if, that is, your cramps are due to low potassium. There are other reasons: meds, other health conditions, circulation problems from diabetes, etc. The thing is magnesium is needed as well as calcium for good potassium uptake.

----

Mineral deficiencies, especially magnesium and zinc can be caused by drinking alcohol; alcohol increases the excretion of magnesium and zinc via the kidneys. Magnesium depletion can be responsible for the symptoms of the "horror" or delirium tremors. Low levels of calcium have been found due to increased excretion of calcium in the urine over a period of years; this can lead to osteoporosis.

The excessive intake of alcohol is one factor which precipitates clinical vitamin deficiencies. This depletion usually includes many of the vitamins, but the most common include: folic acid, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, vitamins B6, B12, and C. Mineral depletion usually includes magnesium and zinc. A protein deficiency usually exists due to malnutrition.

------------------------

In addition, coffee and alcohol can increase the amount of potassium excreted in the urine. Adequate amounts of magnesium are also needed to maintain normal levels of potassium.

------------------------

Since some cramping may be caused by low potassium levels, eating foods rich in potassium may be the best thing for cramps, says Julian Whitaker, M.D., founder and president of the Whitaker Wellness Center in Newport Beach, California. The Daily Value for potassium is 3,500 milligrams. Foods high in it include bananas, orange juice, prune juice, broccoli, baked potatoes with the skin and red snapper.

Dietary Sources

The best dietary sources of potassium are fresh unprocessed foods, including meats, fish, vegetables (especially potatoes), fruits (especially avocados, dried apricots, and bananas), citrus juices (such as orange juice), dairy products, and whole grains. Most potassium needs can be met by eating a varied diet with adequate intake of milk, meats, cereals, vegetables, and fruits.

Archived