Chaos aims to crack China's wall

Mekong

Some fellow board members may be interested in This Article its about bringing down the Great Firewall of China.

Nowadays I have the server running at home set up as private proxy server, but in the past I have been in places with heavily restricted internet access such as China and the Middle East and have had to rely on proxies such as Ghost Surf and then its successor TOR to read what I want to read online and not be restricted to meet the doctrine of the host countries goverment, as one of the deleopers of TOR said "Tor lets you see what the world looks like from someone else's net connection,"

Reading the article I discovered that they have now upgraded the TOR system whereas before if you allowed any badwidth to be used your machine was a "Node" there is now the option to divert incoming traffic to another TOR node and efiicively becoming a "Bridge", I was concerned before about the lack of anonymity operating as a node but since there is now the option to divert outgoing traffic to another TOR Relay I have no worries about using my machine as one and will set it up this weekend.

I was actualy surfing stories about the run up to the Olympics when I found this article, as expected a student prank with free tibet messages, GWB's splinter arsed speech in BKK this week, and the US Olympic committee nominating a Darfur Refugee who is now a US citizen to carry the American Flag at the opening ceremony at least the Athletes and sportsmen are making a statement and sticking two fingers up to China, I bet the Chinese did not see that one coming.

Having lived / worked in China myself, I have Brit friends living their with Chinese wife's and many of our fellow board members have also visitied both Business and Social I can honestly say that your average chinese xu lee is not that much differant than their western counterpart, the only differance being that there are 1.32 Billion of them and the Goverment controls all their media and therefore controls their thoughts.

The only way to accelerate the change of thinking of a nation that big is from within, give them access to information that their goverment does not want them to see and then let them make their own minds up. A Cyber Invasion of information to crack the Great Firewall of China may lead to an accelerated change from within.

Check out this site from the Global Internet Freedom Consortium. They r Chinese dissidents been in the business of defeating the communist firewall for years. No charge for using their software.

Never used their software so can't give a review, but I know these people they are very serious about enabling Chinese to evade the censors.

Link

Kamui :thumbup:

Mongon,

I have checked out Global Internet Freedom Consortium websites in the past and their approach is to use direct Node to Node connections (UltraSurf, FreeGate, GTunnel etc) Whilst this will work the gateways are easily detected by the authorities and closed down.

The advantage of the TOR approach with numerous Bridges this side of the GFoC is that the Chinese Authorities will be chasing page requests via a cyber-maze of network connections that is a lot more difficult to identify and therefore a better method.

Until there secret police executioners track you down and shoot you. ;)

Seriously though, I downloaded Tor myself to try and bypass the TOT blockage of YouTube and it worked for about a day. I tried several other proxies with the same result.

I'm fully prepared to accept that I'm a useless prick who doesn't know how to use them properly but YouTube appears to be working again anyway. No problems for about a week now.

The only way to accelerate the change of thinking of a nation that big is from within, give them access to information that their goverment does not want them to see and then let them make their own minds up. A Cyber Invasion of information to crack the Great Firewall of China may lead to an accelerated change from within.

i know many Chinese, a lot of them very well educated, good english skills, regularly traveling abroad to "freedom paradise" where they have access to all information you mentioned and i am still waiting to meet the first Chinese who thinks LIKE YOU!

they have a totally different agenda then we guys have in the west!

and i am spending around 12-15 weeks per year in China...

Words of wisdom Khun Samak ( at last :thumbup: :nahnah: ) The western idea that the average Chinese citizen ist just waiting for the West to enlighten them is nothing but a silly idea . The loyalty to their country is enormous , not to forget the West has not generated too much positive in the colonial past .

Archived