Useless Posts

unit731

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hum hum....TIE.

Most civilian weather "forecasters" are sometimes clowns -> just because they are not forecasters at all but journalists/or others reporting the forecasts.

I do agree that in general, American and Australian weather forecasters are among the worst in the world though....but this is not their fault.

But I can assure you there are some very good weather forecasters...(at least I have met some)

Training is not difficult, just 4 or 5 years of boring studies...

This said, the "mega storms" Faustian is talking about -> this is the one of the shitty things not easily to forecast accuratly.

I mean, telling a pilot that he will meet between 2 and 2:30pm this type of clouds at this altitude + this type of weather is a good forecast -> but telling exactly where and when a show will occur is damn difficult....

(PS: when I started my life I was a useless weather forecaster...a long time ago in another galaxy -> and I am proud to say that my team had a 90%+ forecast accuracy -> not talking of big joke forecasts like -> it will be sunny today but aviation precise forecast routes etc...)

Wow, what a long useless post I just wrote

:neener:

I knew a retired USAF meteorolgist. He told me you got promoted very quickly up to captain, well before your colleagues in other jobs. But then you were stuck! The job only authorised a captain rank. If you couldn't change jobs, you'd be lucky to retire a major after 20 years or more.

:dunno:

Don't know exactly the promotion system in the USAF but I do know that I never met a US weatherman above the rank of Lieutenant during NATO TLP and other NATO exercises....which was rather odd given we usually had to give briefings to pilots who were more often than not Captains and above.

(try to have a full colonel listen to two lieutenants...)

:banghead:

I do know that in many air forces, ATC and meteos are dead ends career with no prospects of being a superior officer if you started as a weatherman...

For TIE and Faustian: there are more than a few countries where the civilian "weather presentators" just go for a 3 weeks "course" at the air force and that is all...

Then they present weather forecasts issued by a subcontracting civilian company -> which doesn't give a shit about accurate weather forecasts.

I am trying my best to be useless because this is an absurd job -> hence the reason why I am being useless in another field.

:neener:

Well the good folks over at weather underground are saying there's at least a 50% chance of a storm everyday until sunday, with a 70% chance tomorrow and 60% today.

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/48456.html

It is rather cloudy out, but lots of sunshine to make it hot....and it is hot today!!

Anyway, I'm off to Phuket for 2 weeks from sunday, so my weather reports will undoubtedly change....to hot and stormy...ummm...yeh....

Faustiaaaaaan please be useless if you go to Phuket and pm me when you come back.

Have a few useless things to ask you -> as the missus wishes to go on a useless trip to Phuket with her useless boyfriend so I need useless up to date info.

Cheers

:beer::neener:

Nice link mekong

Archived