Nanaplaza Fantasy Football League

Long Gun

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just noticed that there's over 20 teams in the league now - if enough were interested in a side wager that could build into a handy little prize by the end of the season, maybe even enough for Soi Angel to pay his drinks bill one evening.

If you would be interested in throwing B500 into the pot, winner takes all, can you send me a private message through the board and we'll try to come up with a way to collect it. Maybe we can start the pot off at the quiz tonight?

LG

Long Gun,

PM Yankee's are now registered and in full pre-season practice.

Now that I have a team (mostly computer assigned), what is the actual point of the "Fantasy".

I tried to make sense of the rules and scoring, but I'm not 100% sure that I understand how to win (and not just because I am an American with no prior soccer experience).

Is the point to pick players who you think will play every game (at least 60 minutes) and collect the one point per player, or try for the prolific scorers to get larger points or hope that the goalie is called to do the penalty shots ???

What is the strategy with substitutions ? Do I need to see who will be out or injured for the upcoming games and make changes ?

Maybe I should have started with Fantasy Baseball ?

Anyway, I'm in with my 500 baht (but not that this is gambling or anything!)

quote:

Originally posted by Pom Michael:

[QB]Long Gun,

Is the point to pick players who you think will play every game (at least 60 minutes) and collect the one point per player, or try for the prolific scorers to get larger points or hope that the goalie is called to do the penalty shots ???

What is the strategy with substitutions ? Do I need to see who will be out or injured for the upcoming games and make changes ?

QB]

PM,

Although Long Gun may have a slightly different take on this, which I am curious to read, here is my view: It helps to have several players who you think will play every match. They will provide you with "points in the bank."

Some of the players from the clubs involved in the Champions League will need to be monitored closely by you as they may be rested for Premiership matches. Same goes for intl call-ups - you need to be careful there, read your Soccernet, and guess well.

Substitutions, then, can play an important part in your club, especially if you have players from clubs such as Man U, Arsenal, and Liverpool.

As for a keeper who will score goals, I would not count on that. Instead, maybe pick a defender who may be chosen for set pieces.

Hope this helps.

froggo

Long Gun,

Congrats on the pub quiz victory. Do you ever lose?

Maybe we should pull 4 of us Yanks together and wage war as Nana Plaza B (or better yet, "F" team). You can watch us stumble on such "Royal trivia" questions as "Who was the Queen Mother's mother"? (but we will get who is Joey on Friends)

I am in for the 500 baht - will pay up next time I see you.

Goalminder?????

Cheers,

froggo

crazy.gif" border="0mad.gif" border="0

[ August 18, 2001: Message edited by: frogpatrol ]

quote:

Originally posted by frogpatrol:

Congrats on the pub quiz victory. Do you ever lose?

With Liverpool Jim at the helm, defeat is not an option! Bangkokphil reckons he has been in 8 out of the last 9 winning teams! He does like to get his answers in first but to be fair he does give everyone a chance - like the time he apparently stuck the picture-round sheet in front of a blind colleague and said "Who do you think it is?"

LG

quote:

Originally posted by frogpatrol:

As for a keeper who will score goals, I would not count on that. Instead, maybe pick a defender who may be chosen for set pieces.

Here, Froggy, are you sure you're American? A lot of sound advice in this post and no references to goalminders or offence!! I'm impressed. Just so long as you don't pronounce 'defender' with the emphasis on the first syllable!

LG

[ August 15, 2001: Message edited by: Long Gun ]

quote:

Originally posted by Pom Michael:

Anyway, I'm in with my 500 baht (but not that this is gambling or anything!)

You seem to have a pretty good grasp of the way the game goes already, especially with regard to using your subs. Although the big name strikers are the most expensive players, defenders who get forward a lot or take free kicks/penalties/corners can earn most points as they collect big points for keeping a clean sheet plus extras from goals and 'assists' (isn't that an American term?)

As far as the prize element is concerned, Bangkok Phil and I started the ball rolling last night and I have a few other promises so far. Hopefully through the next Londoner quiz or some other meeting places I can collect the contributions from all willing participants over the next week or two - before people have a bad start and chicken out! Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint (Brian)!

Anyone else on here who watches the football at the Hare & Hounds?

LG

Archived