New Nikon Cameral

Coss

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone would care to comment on the following:

Nikon Digital SLR Camera D300 (Body Only)

Nikon AF 50mm f/1.4D

Nikon MB-D10 Multi Power Battery Pack

Nikon Lens AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G

NZD 3,787

AUD 3,180

USD 2,530

http://www.e-tech-direct.com

A good deal I think.

Cheers

Coss

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Coss,

I couldn't see this offer on the site but anyway here are my comments:

The D300 is a very good camera but not so sure about the whole package.

The 50mm f1.4 is a lens mainly used for portrait work. Is this something you do?

The multi power battery pack I assume is a grip that holds 2 batteries which gives you extended shooting time but considering that you can shoot hundreds of photos with one battery do you really need it. I have one for my Canon D40 but rarely use it. It does improve grip though for holding the camera vertically (and makes the camera bigger and more professional looking!) but I've never needed to use the power of even one battery in a day.

The 18-200 is a major compromise as is any lens covering such a big range of focal lengths. I can understand the appeal but wouldn't go for a lens like this. Good as a walkabout lens I suppose but it is a compromise on quality.

Just my thoughts.

MM.

The 50mm is just basic, as mentioned, used for close up stuff.

The 18-200...skip it. Go with a 18-70 or a 35-70 or something, and then a 80-300 zoom...or 80-400VR...

The length of the 18-200 will mean more weight to carry, and less light available. Though you could compensate by shifting to a higher ISO/asa... The price seems a bit high as well...

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=Nikon+d300&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&cid=18161856441763201225&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&resnum=2&ct=result#ps-sellers

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?sb=ps&sq=desc&Q=&O=&pn=1&ci=0&A=search&shs=nikon+d300

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/207360-USA/Nikon_1996_80_400mm_f_4_5_5_6D_ED_AF.html

<<

The 50mm f1.4 is a lens mainly used for portrait work. Is this something you do?>>

Would give a distorted portrait

Most 35 mm portraits shot on 80 mm or longer.

Blads other medium format use 50mm - note 50 mm in medium format is equivalent roughly of a 80mm in 35 mm camera's

Moving onto large format then you need another set of focal lengths

Not a bad price, but can do better-quick search on the internet gave a price of $2101 USD for the package (D300-$999, MB-D10-$239, AF-S DX VR 18-200-$579, and AF 50 1.4-$284).

D300 is an excellent camera with a mind-boggling array of settings/controls/choices. Not for the casual photographer, though. I've got a D200, spent the time learning all the different functions and controls, which in about 2 months I forgot 80% of because I never used them.

The AF-S DX VR 18-200 is a good lens-good for the majority of pictures people generally take. It is light which is helpful when you are carrying around a relatively heavy camera, but build quality is a question. Great to have VR.

I wouldn't get the MB-D10 battery pack. I would rather carry an extra battery around.

With all this capability, you will want to factor in the cost of a Speedlight. An SB-900 is another $400, plus the cost of extra speedlights if you want to take advantage of CLS.

It is, with the exception of digital cameras with full frame sensors, i.e., sensor is same size as a 35mm film slide. Full frame sensors are only available on what could be termed "professional" DSLR's, i.e., very expensive DSLR's. All other DSLR's (the vast majority) have sensors that are smaller than a 35mm film slide i.e., they are cropped. This has the effect of increasing the focal length of the lens. With Nikon the cropping factor is I think always 1.5x but with Canon it varies although usually 1.6x.

You can use all Canon EF lenses on both cropped and full frame sensor Canon cameras but due to the cropping factor Canon have brought out a few EF-S lenses which can only be used on their cropped sensor cameras. For example Canons EF 16-35mm wide angle lens on a cropped sensor camera is actually 26-56mm and therefore no longer wide angle, hence they brought out the EF_S 10-22mm lens for their cropped sensor cameras which translates to 16-35mm.

Archived