New Nikon Cameral

Coss

Well I'm all ordered now

Nikon D300, 12.3 Megapixel, SLR, Digital Camera (Camera Body)

Nikon Zoom Super Wide Angle-Telephoto AF Zoom Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX VR II Autofocus Lens

Nikon Normal AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D

Macro Lens Set (+1, +2, +4)

$1,693 USD

Which is a lot cheaper than the $2,350 I was considering earlier.

That's $2,560 NZD, cheapest in NZ is $3,753 and $3,300 from the e-tech place I was looking at.

So you see, it pays to talk to the people on this board, knowledgeable and generous to a fault.

Thanks all

Cheers

Coss

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CT >Blads other medium format use 50mm - note 50 mm in medium format is equivalent roughly of a 80mm in 35 mm camera's<

Err, haven't you got that the wrong ay around?

Coss >That's $2,560 NZD, cheapest in NZ is $3,753 and $3,300 from the e-tech place I was looking at.<

Coss, small question: how are you receiving this gear/ Do you receive it in NZ, and if so, do you have to pay GST or duty on that in NZ?

Thanks guys, I've moderated my enthusiasm, I think just the body, a 50mm an the 18-200 VR now. And prestige camera is cheap !

I'll again encourage you to go for the bigger zoom lens, up to 400mmVR. I think it is 200-400? 0r something...80-400VR? You will be happy later! Trust me, 200 ain't shit.

Nikon Zoom Super Wide Angle-Telephoto AF Zoom Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX VR II Autofocus Lens

Actually it's not a Super Wide Angle lens, at least not on the D300. Because of the 1.5x cropping factor of the D300, as discussed previously, it actually performs as a 27-300mm lens and 27mm is not super wide.

Anyway, congratulations on getting yourself some decent gear, I hope you make more use of it than I have of mine. :o

D300 is an excellent camera with a mind-boggling array of settings/controls/choices. Not for the casual photographer, though. I've got a D200, spent the time learning all the different functions and controls, which in about 2 months I forgot 80% of because I never used them.

Photography is a great hobby. I've been taking pictures for longer than I want to admit.

I do think that some people do over buy - buy more than they could possibly use.

As stated above - and I am guilty of this myself - if one purchases a camera and only uses 20% of it's capabilities - isn't that a waste of money?

OK. Yes, I am guilty of wasting money myself. I did purchase that wood back scratcher carved in the shape of a naked woman - from a vendor cart/person on Sukhumvit. I rarely use it for its intended purpose - as I have cheaper and better bamboo back scratchers.

<<

CT >Blads other medium format use 50mm - note 50 mm in medium format is equivalent roughly of a 80mm in 35 mm camera's<

>>

Yes I have! Shows how long since I shot with a blad - must be about 15 years at least!

50mm Blad was about a 35 mm on 35 mm - and BLOODY expensive (I had one)

Archived