True Wi-Fi

buffalo_bill

I use AIS post paid - 500 baht a month never gone over whatever the limit is - works great with a cheap Nokia 3110C connected to LapTop by cable or bluetooth.

NOTE the congestion caused by internet over mobile (I think) sometimes means you can;t get incoming calls.

I use AIS post paid - 500 baht a month never gone over whatever the limit is - works great with a cheap Nokia 3110C connected to LapTop by cable or bluetooth.

NOTE the congestion caused by internet over mobile (I think) sometimes means you can;t get incoming calls.

Sounds like you have the 250 hour package the same as I use, the incoming calls issue is probably a limiting factor of the phone rather than AIS service since I never have that problem.

Any Idea when AIS are due to roll out 3G in BKK?

I use the 3110c - no idea the OS - I guess I should look it up - however this wasn't a constant issue - rather sometimes a call would get through (25% of the time) most times not.

Seemed more a congestion and routing priority issue at the towers.

Anyone else have the same problem as SD and I?

Mekong - all your calls always get though when people calling you? (Does anyone call you apart from me trying to borrow $ ? ;) )

CTO,

Just looked at a couple of support forums about missed calls and 2/2.5G phones missing calls when using GPRS/EDGE and discovered an interesting fact that is probably the answer to this issue.

Having a data connection to your provider enabled does not block incoming calls but whenever you are sending / recieving data packets that this causes missed / diverted calls. Since I dont use my phone as a modem as such but just for browsing more often than not there is no data transfer taking place, ie refreshing a page on this forum (without many photos) takes less than 5 secs to reload and I will probably read in for at least 3 minutes a possability of missing 1:36 calls in that period.

Since you use yours as a modem for the laptop you wlll probably have more data packets being sent / recieved and therore in creasing the probability of missing an incoming call. The only time I have used mine as a modem was on 3G in Singapore (Free 72 Hours each trip for an AIS Post Paid customer) and one of the other advantages about 3G apart from the speed is the fact that on an incoming call pauses 3G data transfer and automaticaly resumes once the call is ended and hence I never missed any incoming calls.

Conclusion its a limitation of 2/2.5G networks, heavy use of phone as a modem increases the risk of a missed call and this has been resolved with 3G. I can't wait till we have it here!

Archived