Transiting at Airport

gawguy

GawGuy - rather than ask us ar chair experts - I'd try calling the local airline's your using in your home country,

Are you changing airlines - that would be another no no as rarely do airlines unless it's a code share flight, allow on booking of luggage

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not true CTO. Very common to interline (check in luggage thru to another carrier) with most airlines as long as they have an agreement with them. Most do.

GG....you should be able to check your luggage thru to your final destination at your original point of check-in provided you have proof of your reservation and ticket on your next carrier, (providing the airlines have an agreement) if in fact you are changing airlines.

this is pretty strange! probably more like a passport check, not really immigration!?

have you done this?

plan to fly IAD-PEK-BKK in december (to avoid ORD) and don't want any troubles...

You have to go through immigration. Be sure to have your boarding pass for the departing flight. Your passport will be stamped!

Link

On May 9th, I flew ORD-PEK-BKK and had no problem transiting without a visa. It was a Star Alliance ticket transferring from UA to TG. They have an international transfer desk just prior (or around the corner) from immigration. They take a while at this desk compared to other airports. They checked my bag tag receipts and called to have the bags pulled and sent to the TG flight. I had to wait there until bags confirmed. They also issued me a temporary boarding pass along with a pass for the Air China lounge. At the immigration lines, on the exteme left and right, they have transfer desks, which, once cleared lead you on a U-turn downstairs to clear metal detectors and you end up in the main terminal 3 central area with the shops and lounges. When I got to my gate upon entering the plane I was handed my permanent printed boarding pass. I will admit I had a visa for China which was used earlier this week, but it had no effect on my transiting in May.

-------------------

When I reached PEK I was carefully looking for transit signage. I asked (with difficulty) at an information counter and they directed me towards immigration. I was not certain this was right, so I backtracked to the aircraft and made sure I did not miss any signs and sure enough they were right. I also noticed some other transit passengers doing the same and muttering things like â??I am a transit passenger, why do I need to go through immigration?â?Â. When I reached immigration, I stood in the â??international transitâ? line, however, upon reaching the counter I was told I needed fill out an arrival card and go to a â??deskâ? as I did not have my boarding pass. At this stage the immigration office went through my passport. I am not sure if a transit visa was necessary (as the original post asks) as I am fortunate enough to be an American in possession of a multiple entry Chinese business visa. After much inspection (and frequently looking at my totally unrelated visa â?? even writing itâ??s number down) they gave me what I assume amounts to a transit visa stamp into my passport (the stamp is different that a normal entry stamp) and stamped the stub of the card. I cleared customs (no issue with needing to claim my bag â?? it was checked through fine) emerged in the entry hall. It was 06:00 and my flight was at 12:00. I made my way to the departure hall and to my horror found out I needed to wait until the UA counter opened in three hours. So, rather then enjoying the lounge, I got to enjoy wandering through the departure hall for 3 hours (which despite its size is quite sparse on shops or restaurants). I checked in at 9:00 and cleared immigration (no exit stamp but they collected the entry card stub) and made my way to the AC/*G lounge. When I arrived, what looked like it was a great breakfast buffet was being closed.

Archived