Wireless Internet in BKK

Hugh_Hoy

Hey guys. I'll be in BKK for about 3 weeks and would hate to miss a single thread on the board, but don't cherish the idea of going down to some internet cafe to spend my hours. I did a half-assed search for info here on some type of reliable, fast, wireless internet service that I could access from my accomodations...like buying a pre-paid cell phone card...but for the internet.

Is there such a thing? Keep in mind, I'd only want service for about 3 weeks. How much investment, what do I need to acquire, and where can I obtain. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

HH

HH

Does your cellphone support EDGE and can you use it as a Modem. Both AIS and DTAC now offer prepaid EDGE packages which work out at less than 5 THB / hour.

Another alternative is to use an Aircard if your Laptop has PCMCIA slot, just buy a prepaid SIM and the aforementioned package, pop the SIM into the Lappy and off you go. I have one that I have not used for over a year and will sell it to you for a decent price if you are interested.

Mr C

HH did mention he wanted access from his room, I expect between us we could come up with a list of free wifi hotspots around Suk / Silom area not just bars but leaching from establishments that have not secured their networks.

The reason I mention prepaid is because a lot of frequent visitors from the States have either a second or unlocked phone for use in Thailand and a new SIM is only 50 Baht.

I am not up to date on prepaid package prices but last I heard it was 350 Baht for 100 hours with Dtac.

Archived