Panthip Plaza

buffalo_bill

Mercure fortune town hotel -> same complex.

Exit the station, when you enter the complex turn to the right then straight ahead, when you reach escalator then go up.

One level with mostly mobile/cell phones stuff (good quality by the way) -> upstairs for the pc/laptop stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Based upon your post, I visited Fortune Tower on 27 Nov 2008, but I could not bargain with any Fortune Tower vendor to get prices comparable to what I got at Pantip. The Fortune Tower vendors prices were firm, 250 baht for program DVD and 120 baht for program CD. At Pantip, I paid 150 baht for program DVD, 70 baht for program CD, and 70 baht for DVD video. I spent over 1,000 baht for programs, then got the 70 baht quote for DVD videos, and eventually spent around 3,000 baht with this one Pantip vendor. On previous trips, I avoided Pantip because of the aggressive sexy movie vendors and bad DVD videos, and found the best prices at a Ratchathewi Station vendor.

On my recent Nov 2008 trip to Thailand, I noted that several programs I bought had two different Trojan viruses on the crack programs and I am reluctant to load these programs. I was looking for Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro Extended and I tried Pantip, Fortune Tower, and Ratchatewi vendors and found the same Trojan virus on this program. The vendors suggested I shut down my antivirus program and the crack would work, but I am reluctant to do this.

Hi,

"The vendors suggested I shut down my antivirus program and the crack would work, but I am reluctant to do this."

Yeah, that seems like rather stupid advice. You would likely end up having the program installing, and getting infected with all kinds of junk.

Sanuk!

My GF's computer is infected with a "Trojan Horse" that came in via a game crack.

It is self replicating and has defied all attempts at eradicating it. It makes the computer run really slowly and frequently crashes XP.

Eventually I'll have to take the time to copy her essential files and do a complete re-install and recovery.

Happens but never happened to me via a game crack

-> I always scan the files I download (the ones which could contain a virus) on an old computer prior to installing them.

Thus the only way I can get virus/trojans etc...is when I browse the web.

Good luck ddave

My GF's computer is infected with a "Trojan Horse" that came in via a game crack.

It is self replicating and has defied all attempts at eradicating it. It makes the computer run really slowly and frequently crashes XP.

Eventually I'll have to take the time to copy her essential files and do a complete re-install and recovery.

Dave,

Waaaaay too much work, get a new GF :neener:

Archived