black/african people around soi 5

belfastish

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

When I first came to Thailand in the late '90s there were a fair number of Africans in and around Grace. My friend (he's part black and latino) and I were first denied a room because they thought we were African. I later heard that they were involved in a lot of mischief. They would skip out on the hotel bill (a runner to non Americans) and were involved in some rape cases wehre they'd bar fine a girl and there were about 5 guys waiting in the room and she would be required to 'perform' for all 5 but being only paid short time money if at all.

As far as I can tell the Africans and American blacks do not socialize at all. Funny thing was the Africans would pretend they were American in bars in at Nana. I've met a few American blacks, non military. Some I hung with some I didn't. It was based solely on how well I got along with them as I do with anyone. I've hung out with a few people on here and some of whom have become very good friends of mine who have visited me or I have visited them.

Africans could tell right off I wasn't African and I could them. We didn't talk or socialize. One or two would try and speak but my guess was that it was not out any racial bond but because I was a potential victim for one of their schemes or they could piggy back on my visit to a bar and pass as American. Maybe the one or two were just trying to be freindly but I didn't give them the chance (sorry, don't feel too badly aobut it). I'm the friendly type 99% of the time. Nigerians have a bad rep in America as well. Strangely enough I'm friends with one here but he was a coworker and was 'vetted'...lol. Plus he is a Yoruba. Its the Ibo tribesmen that are the Nigerians that I've heard that cause a lot of the problems.

The BGs didn't seem to be able to tell the difference between an American accent and an African or even the mode of dress which are very different. In the beginning I got turned down by some BGs because they thought I was African. I'm very dark complexioned so they thought I was African.

I haven't partied in Bangkok for eons. I go straight to Pattaya. I have to admit one of the attractions in Pattaya is that there aren't any Africans there.

I had similar experiences with Africans in Tokyo and Cambodia as well. They were not sociable accepted because of some shenanigans. In Cambodia when I first went to the Walkabout (any PP visitor knows Walkabout), my friend and I (he was black american as well) were eyed a little suspiciously at first till it wa apparant we were American. As far as I could tell Africans weren't really allowed there. Once we became a fixture, got to know the staff and a few of the regulars there a couple Africans showed up but they and us never socialized. There weren't many Africans in PP but the few that were there I sensed (maybe I am stereotyping) were up to no good.

I party with anyone (Aussies are great fun!! :thumbup: ) but I'm sorry to say the Africans are one of the few people I stay away from.

Years back the Bangkok Post had an article that said Blacks in this one Hotel were selling such things as meteorites, etc. I thought what they had to sell might be interesting so I sought to find the Hotel. It was near China town. I found the hotel and checked out every floor of the hotel. If the blacks that were there, and yes the hotel was occupied only by blacks, were selling meteorites, etc. I didn't see any of that. Now if somebody asked me if they were selling dope, that is a different topic. I always wondered why the Bangkok Post ran such a strange article in their paper. Maybe they needed to fill some space.

i used to work on soi 5. they would hang out in front of the foodland in a group of 5-10 behind the money changer.

several times my boss was approached for by one of them for her mobile number, i had this happen to myself as well. not sure what scam was going on there.

for awhile the mib would raid the fortuna about once a month. always took a truckload away to immigration

it was my understanding that a majority of them were mules

late nights i made sure to walk on the opposite side of the street.

one bugger tried to snatch a purse, he was chased down by a group of thais....man did he get an ass whipping. cant say that i felt sorry for him because he brought it on himself

cheers,

saucier

An adult male traveling on a Nigerian passport has less chance of getting past real customs than Cheech and Chong... Increasingly, they do only the simple runs (say, Delhi to Bkk, or Karachi-Kathmandu), then thai or african girlfriends do the more difficult routes. Trust no one hanging around lower Suk, and trust africans who have been around the area for a while, the least! Through circumstances beyond my conscious control I used to spend a bit of time at these buildings out at soi 43 Petburi where a lot of thai girls and africans had rooms, and realised how shady it all can be.

Not to say I don't appreciate the diversity of scene -- the international criminal underbelly can add life to the party, and I thank them for that...

YimSiam

After my recent trip to the Thai embassy in Vientiane I'd like to advise members to avoid getting behind them in any queue lining up at Thai or Lao immigration or the embassy if possible.

Their passports and paperwork are checked meticulously and as they usually travel in groups they can slow down a line considerably.

After my recent trip to the Thai embassy in Vientiane I'd like to advise members to avoid getting behind them in any queue lining up at Thai or Lao immigration or the embassy if possible.

Their passports and paperwork are checked meticulously and as they usually travel in groups they can slow down a line considerably.

In Vientiane I found the Africans to be the most brazen and aggressive line cutters I have ever seen. I watched one start at the back and move up 20 places in line, one by one. The most aggravating part was watching people let him get away with it. People are clearly intimidated by them.

Archived