black/african people around soi 5

belfastish

Hi Dave,

Had exactly the same experience at that blooody immigration line in Vientiane. The two involved didnt look particularly nasty, but there is always the expectation that they have friends and/or weapons - nasty stereotype but there you have it.

Feel much the same way about these people as I do about Russian mobsters - the most galling part is that they seem immune from the same laws that the rest of us have to obey. There is an arrogance to their behaviour that is especially annoying, but I just bite my tongue and live to post another day :smirk:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chocolat Steve.

I travel to Phnom Penh at least twice a year. Being Black myself, I can tell you Cambodian girls will be a little hesitant talking to you thinking you are African. The girls have experienced(through their conversation with me) some bad situations with Africans. Once they know you are Black American, they will open up more. You can find between 10-20 African men in the Heart disco nightly (which is further up the street from Walkabout). They seem to get along well with the backpackers and young rich Cambodian guys who frequent Heart club. Also many unattached white females (whether they be NGOâ??s or tourists) seem to prefer their company leaving with them throughout the evening.

I would be surprise if you did see Africans drinking at the Walkabout. They have been ban entrance since a fight occurred between them and the staff 2 years ago.

TC

After my recent trip to the Thai embassy in Vientiane I'd like to advise members to avoid getting behind them in any queue lining up at Thai or Lao immigration or the embassy if possible.

Their passports and paperwork are checked meticulously and as they usually travel in groups they can slow down a line considerably.

In Vientiane I found the Africans to be the most brazen and aggressive line cutters I have ever seen. I watched one start at the back and move up 20 places in line' date=' one by one. The most aggravating part was watching people let him get away with it. People are clearly intimidated by them.[/quote']

I think its a cultural thing. Certain latino cultures here do the same thing when I'm waiting for the bus and while at the DMV we had to remind latina women (the older ones) that the line starts in the back. The Chinese in line at LAX on my China Airline flights always cut the line. The oldest are the worst offenders.

Chocolat Steve.

I travel to Phnom Penh at least twice a year. Being Black myself, I can tell you Cambodian girls will be a little hesitant talking to you thinking you are African. The girls have experienced(through their conversation with me) some bad situations with Africans. Once they know you are Black American, they will open up more. You can find between 10-20 African men in the Heart disco nightly (which is further up the street from Walkabout). They seem to get along well with the backpackers and young rich Cambodian guys who frequent Heart club. Also many unattached white females (whether they be NGOâ??s or tourists) seem to prefer their company leaving with them throughout the evening.

I would be surprise if you did see Africans drinking at the Walkabout. They have been ban entrance since a fight occurred between them and the staff 2 years ago.

TC

I spent a couple weeks in PP. As I said in my previous post when my friend (also black) and I first came into Walkabout, I could tell they weren't quite sure what to make of us. After it was established we were Americans it was all good. In fact, the guard there and us were good friends. I'd buy a beer and sneak it to him from the outside tables behind his post at the entrance. I'd get into play arguments with my friend and tell him to hit him with his club. He got a good laugh out of it.

I stopped by one night to watch an Arsenal game and was a bit surprised to see a couple Africans there. Its only a guess but I think our presence gave those two the courage to go in there.

I was uneasy about PP at first and eventually it grew on me a little. You are right about the girls. They did warm up when they knew we were black american and not African.

I've never been to Heart. My stomping ground for female company was Sophie's.

I don't like stereotyping having been the victim of it in my lifetime but for the most part, I wouldn't associate with the Africans I've seen in Asia. I'm sure there are some cool ones but I probably won't find out.

Not to say I don't appreciate the diversity of scene -- the international criminal underbelly can add life to the party' date=' and I thank them for that...

YimSiam

[/quote']

Agree but from a nice distance.

Right - reading about them in the newspaper is pretty much good enough for me!

One thing about the bar scene is that its capitalism at its best. There is a market for anyone and just about anything. There are BGs who will go with the Africans. Grace from what I recall and from what I have heard has a bunch that will.

There are some BGs that won't go with a black american as well. Just there are some that won't go with an Indian or foreign moslem from the middle east. And some that won't go with Yankees fans or Tottenham fans...okay, I'm making that part up even though I wish it was true. However, there are enough to go with any group that one can find their niche.

Archived