Thailand seems to be racing to a point of no return

Mentors

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes democracy is gone (did it really existed in Thailand and is Thai culture ready for democracy?)

but what I fear is Mr T is back and will of course try to settle the score -> and I believe a kind of limited civil war is certainly possible.

Sad that such a beautiful country and not too bad people are caught in the middle of this crossfire...

I've heard Sino-Thais mock ethnic Thais in private, calling them buffaloes. They are the ones behind the restrictive legislation meant to keep others from gaining a foothold in Thailand and threatening their domination. The ordinary Thai could care less if foreign businesses opened here, or if foreigners could buy land.

Analysts say Thai protesters trying to provoke violent response from authorities

BANGKOK: Thousands of protesters in Thailand have blocked off Parliament, forcing it to call off its session. At least 15,000 have fanned out across Bangkok as part of their final battle against Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat's government.

In a symbolic move to cut off power in Parliament, members from the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) not only caused a blackout, they also surrounded the building, making it inaccessible to Thai lawmakers.

One of the protesters, Wasant Kasemsap, said: "This thing would not have happened if the government had moral principles. You see the building behind me, it's not Parliament, it's a thieves' den full of criminals in there. I want everyone to realise that if we don't stand up to fight, we will not have anything left for our country."

Some even hijacked buses in their attempt to seal off the police headquarters and other state buildings. Tensions ran high as thousands of riot police tried to stop the protesters from advancing.

A police spokesman said they are not carrying guns and have been instructed to use as little force as possible. Many are eager to avoid a repeat of an episode last month when exploding tear gas canisters caused two deaths and hundreds of injuries.

Thai PM Somchai, who is in Peru for the APEC conference, has refused to resign and instead, called for restraint.

The PAD has occupied the prime minister's office compound for nearly six months and looks unlikely to vacate anytime soon. Some analysts said they are trying to provoke a violent response from authorities and trigger a military coup, which would then oust the Somchai government.

Mr Somchai, said the PAD, is simply a puppet for former prime minister, Mr Thaksin Shinawatra who is thought to be gearing up for a political comeback.

The PAD is expanding its protests to include Don Muang Airport, which serves as Mr Somchai's temporary office.

Many Thais feel that the PAD is now simply obstructing necessary government business, but the group and its backers show no signs of giving up.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/southeastasia/view/391950/1/.html

PAD puppet of Mr T???

News to me, I don't believe Mr T = Machiavel...

Bwhahahahahahaha

:rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl:

That's the best comedy since RogueYam and the US Elections thread.

Reality check: and just what would the Red Guar folks be? Democrat supporters? 5555555555555

Cheers,

SD

Archived