Demokrat Party wil form New Government

Mentors

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know he might be PM (you never know what could happen on monday)...

This is a first time for LOS, we will see how it goes.

PS: There are people living in Australia?

I thought it was a wasteland with only 3 animal species, Dingos, kangaroos and the curious animal called "Aussie".

:dunno::confused::neener:

He may be too farangized for most Thais, I am not sure.

I have heard him speak and I have spoken to him. For what it is worth, his English is probably better than 99% of native English speakers here and in English speaking countries. His views on economic issues - when he speaks to groups like the American Chamber - are very sensible. For example, he says (and I believe he thinks this) that the FBA is ridiculous and should be abolished. He also sounds realistic about addressing this issues. But like all politicians, I don't know what he would be like once in office.

The Thais I know who think he won't make a good PM basically say he is too naive and nice for the job. Even if this is true, it would at least be a refreshing change to what I have seen over my past 14 years of living here.

Is it possible the Democrats did "nothing" during the PAD protests because:

- They were busy working underground trying to gather allies/defectors

- They knew fully well the crisis would be over for HM's birthday and the army and police would stay "quiet".

Forming a new government with defectors knowing Thai political alliances are complex does not look IMO possible in just a few days...

Anyway, we will see on monday if they can form a government...

I wonder how the red shirted ones will be treated if they oppose the new government and demonstrate much in the same way as the yellow shirts did when they were unhappy with the government. If the TRT/PPP factions do the same: take over government house, close airports, demonstrate for months on end and generally disrupt the country in the many ways PAD did, will they also be allowed to? Or will heads be broken quickly to disperse them and not allow them the same rights it seemed PAD had to do all this stuff? Tit for tat would seem to be okay if they decided to, going by the leniency shown PAD in their protests at least. I'd bet 'democracy' will play a much different way though if the red shirts try it out.

I'm talking about mainly the reaction from the newly formed government and their backers toward any red shirt protests and unrest similar to the PAD tactics of protest. PAD seemed to have biased arcangels watching over them and they seemed to be being allowed to do almost anything without much restraint placed on them by the (lame duck) authorities. Do you think the red shirts will be allowed to easily take over the major airports here? Set up a protest area in the city of Bangkok for months? Take over the seat of government? Besides, you did see the piles of homemade explosives and weapons the PAD left at Swampypoon right? Oh, those were to protect them from the police if they tried to eject the yellow shirters from the airports. Seriously, this would have had all the PAD leaders and many of the protesters in prison in the states if this happened. Weapons to fight 'the police'? Yeah, peaceful protest. Right. :smirk:

I expect to see the military step in if the red shirts do the same as the PAD did. I don't doubt for a second that they will NOT be allowed the same leeway PAD was given.

Archived