what do you like and hate about Christmas?.

sayjann

We were always able to invite anyone we wished to Christmas dinner without having to get pre-approval.

My siblings and I have met people at jobs, whereever, who don't have any friend or family in town to spend the day with and they were alwasy welcome.

My cousin invited this girl who seemed like a punk rokcker. Atheist, eclectic. We pray before Christmas dinner and its always uncormfortable for anyoen who is non Christian or non religious. However, they are all treated as family and I think come away from the experience glad they came. My parents in Philly as well as my aunt in LA were that way. They thought eeryoen should have a place on Christmas to go to. So they made up for your 'loss' by trying to be your family for a day. we're a touchy, feely family. Hugs, kisses, etc. and a big warning to friends who viit they wil be hugged by people who don't know you. (I actually did warn friends) lol.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends where I am.

In the USA, once again depends where I am; with family, it is OK but often the weather is cold, very cold.

In Europe, not so fun as everything is closed, so boring to sit in the hotel. Good that the Chinese restaurants stay open! at least one can eat!!!

In Asia, it is OK. Warmer weather and everything open. Some parties to go to, so LOS makes for my family when I am away from home :xmascheer

Being an Atheist the day has absolutley no meaning or interest to me. If I want to have dinner drink to excess of buy presents for family and friends there are 365 days a year to do so and I do not need limit it to the alledged birthday of some character from a religion I don't believe in to do such.

The last time I was in a Christian country over the season was 1987 and I don't miss it one iota.

Guest lazyphil

i'm not a great believer, my faith swings from thinking its all nonsense to pondering if there is a higher being-i apply to all religions. but xmas is an enjoyable time of the year and is all about nostalgia for me from xmases gone and now my little girl is experiencing the magic of santa and decorating the house/tree and her xmas school show and going to christingle childrens service. mind you i have no plans to have her christianed, that is entirely up to her.

I don't think you need to be religious to enjoy Christmas. That's almost like saying you need to be Irish to enjoy St. Patrick's day. It really doesn't matter.

Agree 100% :thumbup: So many people of different religions enjoy it in the U.S. as just a time for family to get together.

Thanksgiving is technically religious in origin as the Pilgrims were giving thanks to God for them surviving in the U.S. Everyone celebrates it as a secular day.

Steve,

I agree to disagree. You are making comments from a US, EU, Australanian / Christian perspective which is not the majority of global beliefs.

I don't Celebrate the Muslim Eid festivals, I do not celebrate the Jewish Yom Kippur or Hannukah, I don't celebrate Diwali or Dusserha which are two of the main Hindu religious festivals.

Even though I am a self proclaimed atheist, brought up in a convent and adotped by a RC family and had Catholocism forced down my throat for 16+ years before I escaped to Uni and was allowed to have my own opinion, I consider myself rather tolerant of believers not withstanding their chosen faith but I personally chose not to believe.

From my experiences there are "Peak Times" amongst all faiths, whether it be the Hajj, Hannukah, Diwali or even Songkran in Thailand, faith dictates aledged values and also in my mind a false reason to visit and be friendly to relatives.

I don't need a faith to dictate a timetable to me, as I stated previously If I want to visit family or friends I can do it off my own bat, If I wish to dine or party I can do it out of love and not a psesdo faith based crutch, if I wish to offer gifts I am able to do so without being ruled by a calander and do so because it is expected because of the (fill in own religion) season.

In one respect I like the fact that fellow human beings can be loving and caring to each other but in retrospect it saddens me that they need a reason to do so. I don't need predifined dates to be a caring human being and have a good time, would it not be better if all 365 days were the same.

Bottom line, what I dislike about Christmas and other Religious feativals, they are excuses for hypoctites to pretend they care!

<<<---- Goes and sits in corner prepared to be slammed!

again i agree.

you don't need to be of a certain(or no religion)to have a good time.

if anyone wants to have a family day together and have a good time then good for them.

i have no feelings either way but i just enjoy the warmth people feel about it.

over the Years i have seen kiddies in Hospital of all religions having a ball,they don't give a toss.

we have no restrictions on all religions bringing in certain food for their relatives.

we all dress up and try to help the infirm have a good time.

many are without families for various reasons and a little attention shown means a lot to them.

last Year i sat with a 91 y.o Woman and cut her food and spoon fed her.

i even gave her a card as she had no-one to visit her.

she couldn't talk but i just felt the gratitude from her filling the room.

Christmas means a lot of different things to different people and that is what makes us all unique.

this Year i will be at my local Hospice on NYE just helping out.

fuck the religious aspect,i just want to help people who are unable to do so themselves.

Archived