F-18 Crashes In US Neighbourhood

bust

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

US Virgin, that report you read seems a litte too quick to judge. I sure hope people aren't assuming he had the option to dump it in the ocean and chose to crash in the housing area. C'mon people, its easy to criticize military related policy decisions but to insinuate the pilot is at fault in this case is a bit premature.

It certainly is a bit premature but there are not that many mechanical failures which could have prevented him to "control his crash"

(such as hydraulic systems etc..)

Wait and see but in most cases of military crashes the pilot has usually been at fault.

(the few military crashes I witnessed were all the pilot's fault)

Sad anyway

Seems he was trying to avoid hitting anything but with no power his options were limited and he didn't make it to a totaly unpopulated area.

TH

Link

..."The first thing he said to me, even before he said, 'I'm OK,' he said, 'I hope I didn't kill anybody,'" contractor Jason Widmer said. He said the pilot, a lieutenant, told him both the fighter jet's engines had failed in flight.

Witnesses told local radio the pilot might have been intending to crash the plane in a nearby canyon in order to avoid hitting a school.

Sorry if it sounded that way, but I wasn't accusing him of pilot error. I was only reiterating a report from someone assisting the pilot on the ground that the kid felt badly about it, and another eyewitness who felt he could have ditched in the ocean.

That his best option was to dump it in the ocean is pure speculation and possibly bullshit. That the pilot feels remorseful about the result is surely true. I had no intent of making light of the story.

Sad that he ejected and survived to live with the consequences. From another report I read he might have been able to dump the jet in the ocean instead of a neighborhood. Surely a mechanical problem that was not his fault and a very tragic result.

What I have personally have seen is that the military is flying their planes at a lower altitude when landing with a gradual decline. This saves fuel but if a problem happens, not much chance of putting a plane down in a safer zone.

An impressive machine to watch coming in at a gradual decline at a low attitude for landing is the B1. Those machines have their own specific rumble.

Now the F16s, I have seen them taking off at a fast pace and a steep incline. Watching those planes at night time taking off is very impressive. The flame coming out of their ass end is about the length of the plane.

Archived