F-18 Crashes In US Neighbourhood

bust

Strange that both engines failed...

Investigators will certainly find out the truth.

(in the US and in this case is it a joint force of NTSB and military doing the investigation or is it the military only or is the FAA involved too?)

:rip:

NTSB doesn't ordinarily get involved in military crashes unless there is an aspect to the crash that includes interests of the FAA. This might occur in a mid-air collision between a civilian aircraft and a military aircraft...or a near miss. I suspect that the Navy/Marines and Boeing will have the lead in this one.

HH

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drogon, I know what you're saying but it really rubs me the wrong way. Without knowing exactly what happened, how can you think like that? Assuming he is at fault is extremely unfair. Put yourself in his shoes. I dont care what the statistics are, you dont assume something like that.

Have an objective mind about it and let the evidence show what happened.

You've witnessed military aircraft crashes before?

I don't assume he made an error -> I just state that in most cases of milirary crashes the pilot made an error.

This is a tragedy and we will not know what happened until the conclusion of the investigation so I don't try to accuse the pilot.

And yes I did witness a few military crashes as I was working just below the ATC in the control tower (on a few military airports) but without loss of lives luckily..

I am aware of what happens in such cases because every time there was a crash, however minor, the first in the line of fire of the investigators were us the weathermen + ATC + maintenance teams and of course the pilots.

Thanks OH for his technical expertise.

Accidents happen and the fact an AFB is near your house doesn't really matter...I remember an air crash in EU when I was a teenager:

A USSR fighter plane (single jet engine) which came to crash somewhere in Belgium (also killing civilians) -> quite a long way to go.

I prefer the F16 pilot who got an engine stall at quite a low altitude -> instead of crashing on the village he targeted a field just outside the village but he had to stay on board to be sure the plane would crahs in the field....

And he had a wife and three children -> the investigation showed that he certainly avoided many deaths.

If the investigation about the F18 pilot shows that he couldn't have done anything to change the trajectory of his plane then and this is not his fault and he needs not to feel guilty.

:thumbup:

But: If he ejected to just save his ass without having tried everything to steer his plane away from houses then may he be damned.

:thumbdown:

Investigation will tell us what happened.

Very sad for the family

Link

This CNN article talks about the victims and circumstances around the crash. :(

"According to the Los Angeles Times, the pilot ejected moments before the crash and landed in a tree. Jason Widmer said he talked to the pilot, who said he had tried to steer the jet from the homes and into a brushy canyon."

Seen the guy who's family was wiped out? What an incredible guy he is..."pray for the pilot not to suffer from this."

I don't know if I could be that big; not that I blame the pilot until/if more details come out.

What a tear-jerking press statement.

Cheers,

SD

Archived